20 December 2010

Christmas Songs

Share
There are a few songs they play around Christmas for which I care very little. Although some of them mention Christmas, they don't really mention what Christmas really means. Some people might think this an aberrant attitude, but Christmas really isn't even really about family or gatherings or togetherness. If what we do does not bring us to, revolve around, and focus us on Christ, then we have kind of missed the point of Christmas.

Yet, those are the songs people I know sing all the time. I know that for radio stations, it's probably because people who don't like Christ, even if they buy gifts and trees and victuals for family dinners, celebrate the 25th of December as a holiday but not as a Holy Day. They have more power over us than they realize, because people wish me Happy Holidays and sing of Hippopotami for Christmas or Figgy Pudding and gay apparal or getting a date for Christmas, when it's about Christ.

Like many of you, I am familiar with certain traditions. We have a traditional meal, a repetitive program, and the like. Sometimes, the message of the Savior takes a back seat, and that kind of annoys me. I was in a chorale this season, and I noticed that the songs about my Savior were the ones most likely to be omitted or missing from the program, which was selected only in media res by the director. In all the gifts, even when they are few, we do not talk about the symbolism. In all the decorating, we don't talk about why we put on our best or use certain things as decor. In all of our singing and the movies, we do not watch the nativity or sing the religious hymns. In our gatherings, Christ is mentioned in our prayers and then forgotten. What if he were there as a visitor?

I don't really care if you are offended because I don't like the trimmings and trappings, the carols and cards, and the gifts and galas that occupy our time. Christ is real to me. He is the reason I hope for anything. He is the way by which I hope things will be made right. No matter how good I am, without my Savior, I am destined to receive punishments that make coal look like a desirable gift. I choose the songs about Christ and disregard the ones that are not about Him.

A few weeks ago, much to my surprise, one of my favorite parts of the Christmas party I attended was when Rich insisted that we read this play. The play was of course a different dramatization of Luke Chapter 2. After all the food, the fun, and the gifts, I am glad we did that. It took a lot of time, but that's the time of year it is that we celebrate.

I am not really interested in being P.C. I am a Mac. I am not interested in whether you are offended that I celebrate Christmas and celebrate Christ. I allow all men the same privilege to worship how, where or what you may. If you would like to listen to 'holiday' songs, feel free. If you give me the choice, I will sing praises to Him in whom I have my hope for a better world and a place in the kingdom of my Father.

For, unto us a Child is born, a Son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counselor, the Almighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Hallelujah.

I will do what I can to preach of Christ, to rejoice in Christ, to prophecy of Christ, and to write according to those prophecies, that my children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins and that they may always remember Him.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I so love these thoughts. Some days I feel pretty discouraged at what Christmas has turned into for the general public -- but when I listen to my favorite Christmas music (no doubt the same songs that you love as well) the true spirit of the season returns, and I have that feeling of love and peace that defines what it's really all about.

Merry Christmas!!