23 December 2010

Snow: Christmas Symbol

Share
For many parts of the world, there is no such thing as a white Christmas. Usually, this is also true of Las Vegas, which, being in the desert, has an average of 3-4" of precipitation per year. However, on the way to work this morning, I could see snow up on Antelope Mountain, Red Rock, and Mt. Charleston, above the 6000' level. After a week of rain, it does not surprise me, and it puts a smile on my face.

Why is snow a significant symbol of the season? It goes back to Isaiah, who, speaking Messianically, tells us "Come and let us reason together saith the Lord, for though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow". Isaiah makes reference to the atoning sacrifice to be made by the Christ as a means to purify and cleanse.

I love snow. Mostly, I love snow in the mountains so that I don't have to drive in it, but I love what it does. Frequently, it is quiet. Usually, it purifies particulates out of the air. It glistens in the sunlight afterwards. It reminds me of great Cristmases in Europe and great family memories in years gone by when I lived at home with my own family. Those were pure times, times of peace and joy. They were times when I was naiive and more innocent. Those were times when it was easier to think of Christ.

We grow up and get more responsibilities, opportunities, and choices. Although many people choose good things, when was the last time you read the scriptures, wrote about Christ, told a friend about Him, or did anything He would have done if He were on earth today? People plan their priorities, and so if you don't make room for Christ, don't be surprised if he doesn't make room for you.

A friend of mine talked with me a few weeks ago about the mercy of Christ. The beauty of Christ, like the beauty of the snowfall, is that his mercy is for everyone anywhere, even in Sin City. It snowed here to please the eye and gladden the heart of the wicked and the righteous alike. Christ came to save all who believe on His name, regardless of what we do. Nobody can save himself, just like none of us can force it to snow.

It really is beautiful up there today. I wish you could see it. I wondered what message I could leave on this blog to echo over the Christmas weekend that would center on Christ, and as soon as I left my house, I could see it in the mountaintops. High on the Mountain Top, a Banner is Unfurled. Ye nations, now look up, it waves to all the world. Two days before Christmas, there could not have been better timing. Let it snow, for in Christ, we shall be purified like that beautiful blanket above.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I am not a fan of snow but I love your symbolism. Lovely thoughts as always -- merry Christmas to you!