10 July 2010

Best Gifts

Share

Photobucket
I have more 'stuff' than I really care to admit. Although I am proud of my collection of books and think it will one day make a very impressive library, i have plenty for my needs. When I finally buy a home, I look forward to a "throwing away party" at which to dispose of certain items.

My friend Jay says that at every turning point in life, it helps to get rid of things you own that hold you back and hold you down. Last night, I started to accumulate items into boxes for semi-permanent storage. Many items found their way into the garbage or donation receptacles, but a few things I just cannot throw away.

For me, the best gifts are the things other people make for you or at least make personal. Sure, some people have personalized things in only the most remote sense of the word. However, back in High School, I wrote everyone a personal poem instead of the common sobriquet normally scribbled into those memories.

Very few of my friends have ever made things for me that matter. The ones who have, where I know it came from their hearts, I kept. Where not enshrined in a place of honor, they remain entombed in perpetuity because I value them as I valued those friendships.

If you ever made me something or personalized it, I probably still have it. If not, I am sorry. I may have lost it in a move. I am eternally grateful that you spent a portion of your life on me.

Brethren, adieu.

No comments: