31 July 2010

Bucket Lists

Share
There's a really good reason why I have a bucket list. No, I did not see the film of same name, but I realized about a year ago that I had accomplished almost everything I wanted to do with my life in 30 years. When I made it ten years ago, I had no idea that I would be single and childless and able to go and do whatever I pleased whenever I felt it appropriate, and so many of the things on it are things where I never thought I'd have time, motive or opportunity if my life had turned out the way I originally planned.

I enjoy a new birth of freedom with the end of the month of July. Sure, it was an EXTREMELY rough month, but many of the things that hung like a shadow over everything I have built are now completely gone. So, I'm back to planning my trips to Israel and Japan, to Alaska and Lincoln Nebraska, because I can.

A former Facebook friend of mine has this as his favorite quotation, and in general I agree with the sentiment:
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

The premise is to go out and experience and enjoy life. I believe that God created this world for our use and enjoyment, with things to catch the eye and gladden the heart. That's why I often go out stargazing or sit in the driveway and watch the sun set. There are so many amazing things to see that do not come via URL.

My life may not be where I imagined it to be, but I remain the master of my experiences and choices. The life I choose is not just my choice, so I took control of the things where the choice is entirely up to me. If and when the time comes for me to be what I choose above all else, I will be uniquely educated, experienced, and endowed to be the best father I can be because while I waited I didn't just burn time, I invested it.

Make a bucket list, and then go do some of the things on it this year. Your life will never be the same.

No comments: