28 July 2014

Jury Duty

Share
Last week, I appeared for Jury Duty. Since we were being prescreened for a trial that begins in several weeks, I'm not sure about the disposition of my status as a potential juror, so I cannot discuss the particulars. Instead, I wanted to share with you some of my perceptions as I did in years prior when I served at the polling place. I was fascinated by the things I saw, and not all of it was bad, but it was not something I enjoyed, and I feel bad for the people who work there.

First off, the people who work as staff impressed me. I don't know how many times they repeat the same presentation, but the coordinator had her remarks not only under control but well articulated. Although I could tell it wasn't verbatim, she knew her material and covered it effectively and efficiently while dealing with a large group of very disparate individuals. She fielded the asinine questions with grace, poise, and panache, and the clerks who worked for her were efficient and professional.

The other jurors were a mixed bag. I noticed a ton of people who didn't apparently know how to follow instructions. People rose before their number was called, wore clothing that was forbidden, asked questions she already answered or ones she already said she would address earlier, and seemed unable to follow simple instructions. Although the majority of people sequestered themselves with as many vacant interstitial seats as possible, the only person who decided to reseat himself took MY seat. He was probably the most paradoxical. He wore a hat, talked while she talked, shot video of the introductory training video, and constantly went up to the desk even though he hadn't been called. Along with him was his girlfriend, but we're not supposed to bring people with us. I guess the rules don't apply to him. Loads of people parked in the wrong spot, and some of them sounded upset that they would have to pay their own parking. I couldn't believe this constituted a group of my "peers".

We learned that although controversial nobody is exempt. One of the judges, a former governor, and a sitting state senator have served on juries. That made me feel better about the process since people are not considered special just because they occupy certain positions of authority. I'm sure that annoys some people and inconveniences others, but at least the duty applies to all citizens and not just those who live and work at sidewalk level.

The true outcome was a mix of expectations. Contrary to my expectations, I saw lots of people whom I classified as normal. There were even some attractive albeit older women and some well groomed men. I saw young people and old alike, rich and poor, educated and illiterate. The few people with whom I spoke seemed to be people whose company I would enjoy in any other circumstance. Although typical jury duty averages 2-3 days, we were told this trial would last 2-3 weeks. That's significantly higher than average. It also came with a rather lengthy questionaire, and although I was among the middle of those who received it, most people seemed to complete it rather quickly. I'm hoping that means they didn't have much to say or a preconceived opinion which makes them a better candidate for service than I.

Honestly, I would like to serve on a jury. I think it would be cool if it only took a few days and didn't interfere with teaching. This trial comes right at the beginning of the next term, which means I could get squeezed off the schedule because of it, which would annoy me. I don't really know how it will come down, but it was illuminating to report at least, and if selected, I will serve and enjoy the chance to learn what it's like from that perspective. Everything can be a learning experience if you let it, and since I work for the state it won't cost me leave or my job. Maybe when it's over they'll even give us stickers like they do at the election that tell people we served on a Jury. Yay stickers!

No comments: