11 June 2012

Childhood Memories and Doc Brown

Share
I was looking for an unrelated reason at pictures from Star Trek III on Yahoo, when I came across a picture of Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon. I had forgotten for a while that he was even in that movie, but he has been and is my favorite Klingon ever. Perhaps it's because he wasn't a bit player or a stereotype. He was Christopher Lloyd, the eccentric and fascinating character who has come to fill roles in many beloved film titles.

You don't hear me talk much about favorite movies or actors. Truth be told, I know very few of them by name. In fact, when I discussed this, I mistakenly called him Christopher Plummer (whose work I also enjoy), which is consistent with me to not really be keen on the faddish and hip. Notice I'm still using the word hip for example. However, Christopher Lloyd has got to be one of my favorites.

Like most of you, I first noticed Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown in the Back to the Future series, which remains one of the best all time trilogies for its themes, accuracy in future predictions, adhesion to science, and continuity. It has been and remains one of my favorites. In addition to that, he was Professor Plum in Clue, a Klingon commander in Star Trek III, and on and on and on. He is a character, and I'm glad he's still with us even if he doesn't star in movies today that I choose to see. His characters and his face are integral parts of my childhood, and when I see it or hear his voice it evokes childhood memories of times I really enjoyed.

No comments: