13 June 2012

Take All You Want

Share
Tonight, I had a chat with my mother, and it reminded me of many a thing from my childhood. I suppose that's a common theme this week, but they were good times during which I learned many great things thanks largely to my angel mother. She didn't always know the answer, but she knew where to look, which might be why I learned to love the library and books and eventually science, which is the search for answers, but I digress. That's really what I do both for a living as well as in my free time such as this blog. I am here helping people find answers.

One of the stories from my childhood was the story of Tony the Lion. Tony was a zoo animal as I recall with a gorgeous mane of the finest hair. One day, some mice came to Tony, admiring his hair, and they asked if they could take a few of his hairs to line their nest. "Take all you want," said Tony. One by one, other animals in the zoo also prevailed upon Tony for a few strands with which to decorate and elevate their living conditions, and each time Tony gave the same answer. You see, pleased as he was by his mane, he was also pleased to share, so much that eventually Tony was completely bald.

There are people in this world who have and know and do great things who selfishly hold onto it. I however subscribe to the notion that life is richer when you share it. That's the motivation behind sharing of my life, my testimony, my experiences, and my thoughts with whomever will listen. Sometimes I give anecdotes in class to students, and sometimes I just chat with the college's electricians who came by today to alter the ventilation system in our fume hoods. Sometimes, I just write on this blog for whomever it is God directs here to read it. I desire to share.

I do not claim to have all the answers. Like my mother before me, I have learned where to look. Some of that knowledge can be gained by study. The rest must be gained by faith. I invite every one of you to hold onto all the truth, knowledge and wisdom that you already possess. When you come across what I offer, I invite you to come and get more. I direct you to sources of pure truth, the whole truth, and only truth. As I wrote in the introduction to my book Free Thinker "If you find my thoughts amusing, laugh. If you find they support yours, rejoice. If you are taken aback at my lack of wisdom, thank God that He made manifest my weaknesses to you that you may learn to be wiser than I. If they make you think, then this book and my life have accomplished their goals."

God knows better than you what you need. I have made a great effort, particularly of late, to turn people to better sources than I. Like I tell my students, everyone has an agenda, and mine is to help you realize that everyone has an agenda and to be skeptical of their motives. Keep all the good you have, and come here for what I have, and then turn to Him for even more. Like Tony, God has a mane of great hair, and to those who ask, He gives the same answer: "Take all you want, then come and get more".

1 comment:

Jan said...

Lovely and perfectly said. Thanks, Doug!