20 June 2012

As He Commands

Share
One of the most useful but most hard won lessons of my life has been submission to the Will of my Creator. I have been called many times. Sometimes I would not hear; sometimes I gave a half-hearted effort; sometimes the fruit born of my efforts didn't look at all like what I expected. Yet, I continue to act upon the impressions I receive.

My students are frequently caught up in grades as a measure of accomplishment. One of them realized yesterday during our exam review that once you get into the program your grades suddenly become irrelevant. I have been arguing for years that many of the metrics measured by men and applied as signs of success are simply inaccurate and useless. You desire to be good, to do good, to make a positive contribution, and a whole heap of other worthy attainments. I believe that the most important accomplishment in life that a man may achieve is to perfect his ability to communicate with the Holy Ghost. He will tell us then what is really good and worthy of our efforts.

Sometimes, relying on the Spirit of God is a difficult thing. Few people make decisions after they appeal to the Lord for guidance, especially if their families veto revelation with other, albeit uninspired, opinions. Many people do not believe in a higher power, and many of the people who do think that God only talks to old men in beards who herd sheep in Asia Minor. Consequently, it can be difficult to be confident that you have heard and acted upon the voice of the Lord.

It is a common principle that transcends the times and asks each one of us to prove our willingness to obey. When Abraham was finally blessed with a son, God commanded him to offer up Isaac as a sacrifice. When Jonah was commanded to go to Ninevah, he jumped aboard a ship headed the other way. In all times, different men have had different reactions. Sometimes, they are willing to go and do what God commands knowing that if He asks something He will prepare a way for them. Years back, when I felt very strongly about a particular thing in which my efforts seem to be frustrated, one of my cousins told me on the phone whilst we discussed it that if there was no open road then it must not be a command for me at this time.

Sometimes we hesitate because we want to be sure. I can only imagine what it might have been like to walk into Ninevah and tell the people to repent or be destroyed. On several occasions that come to mind, I remember asking God if He was sure that was what He wanted me to do. My friend John gave me the advice to press forward and trust that God would stop me before I went too far down a road that was incorrect. When I have obeyed the promptings, I have always been led to a land of promise, even if the blessings came disguised as a trial.

Years back when I first moved to Vegas, I spoke with one of my church leaders about the personal revelations I had received. I wasn't sure I was receiving the messages correctly or if I was hearing only what I desired to hear. He told me to trust it and verify it and that he wasn't concerned because I was actively looking to do what God desired of me. I have pushed forward with faith, and I have seen the fruit. I challenge you to push forward in faith when God asks something of you. I promise you that as you do you will hear a voice behind you that says in your mind, "This is the way; walk ye in it", and that will give you confidence and peace.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Faith is hard -- but I think once we realize that what we want is only to do what HE wants, it becomes somewhat easier. (for me, anyhow.) Even when the circumstances are not comfortable or fun, if I am doing what I feel He wants me to do, I can have the faith to push through.