04 June 2012

Thanks For Midway

Share
I finished reading a book about the Battle of Midway, and I have a few small words to say on this the 70th anniversary of that battle. I looked at the ships, the planes, and the men, and I thank any of you who still live for the work, sacrifices, and courage shown in that battle. I am not sure whether the American military today would be capable of doing what you accomplished then.

One of America’s largest disadvantages in World War II was that by the time we entered the conflict, our novice troops were expected to stand against veteran and elite units. Even where they fought bravely, frequently they did not fight wisely. Like during the Revolution, the great miracle for America is that despite being the respondent in this war, outgunned, outmatched, and surprised, she was able to triumph over her enemies once again.

Despite great odds, you were victorious. Wave after wave of men, without much experience if any at all, went up against the Japanese Empire, which seemed to have almost every advantage in taking Midway. I am fairsure, that like the Revolution, the victory at Midway was, in the words of George Washington himself, "little short of a standing miracle". I can only imagine how difficult it was for you, and I can only imagine how much different the world might be today if not for your service and sacrifice. When the time grows dire, too few hear and heed the call to serve.

I salute you all. Godspeed, and rest well, ye men of the Greatest Generation.

No comments: