16 February 2012

War on Our Religion

Share
I have been watching the political developments of the last few weeks with a slightly different take than some others. Last night at dinner, a close friend argued in favor of the contraception mandate because "Catholics don't have to pay out because practicing Catholics won't use contraceptives". How many real Catholics would we find? That's like saying people who have self control won't drink if the alcohol is free and provided by their church. He thinks we'd find lots of true adherants. I don't see the logic.

Yesterday, I found three images on the internet I wish to share in the context of war on our religion. I believe that the Monarchists in politics, mostly in the Democrat party but also in all the others, are actively engaged in a war against freedom of religion. Others have used the phrase, "Freedom from religion", but I don't think that's right either. I think Monarchists want to force us to believe as they do for the reasons that they do, and that's the problem.

First up, I found and responded to this inaccurate image of the Jefferson nickle.
The people who posted this are falling for an old lie. This is not a new trick. During the election of 1800, supporters of John Adams ran the inaccurate slogan of "God and Adams or Jefferson and no God". Anyone who knows anything about Jefferson knows that although he was not an adherent of any particular Faith he was still a man of great faith. He did after all write the Declaration of Independence. This is just another in a long series of inaccurate internet posts propagated by people who do not do their own research trying to validate their preconceived notions. Most people are not interested in truth; they secretly hope the truth will validate what they already happen to believe. Just because it's on the internet and popular doesn't make it true; in fact, usually the more popular it is, the less useful or trans-formative it will prove in your life. Do your own homework. That's always good advice.

However, it's spreading like wildfire across the internet as people comment on it. I reject the premise that my faith and my Faith are somehow the problem.  Some of the propagators of these inaccurate notions are naive, but some of them take it as validation of what they believe, very much like the next image.


This one is full of an ad populum designed to make them feel akin to famous historical figures. Lots of people like to link themselves to famous people as if it validates them without considering the links to people who are famous with whom I might not want to be associated. However, many of these figures are fallaciously associated with atheism. Franklin, as a Freemason, had to believe in a supreme being. Jefferson was a Deist. Lincoln spoke and wrote often of God. Einstein believed in a controlling force at least. Spinoza was more of an old world polytheist who believed God made the world and then let it spin without interfering. Darwin studied to enter the clergy before his trip aboard the Beagle. At any rate, the word agnostic (meaning opposed to specific Faith) is more appropriate than aetheist (meaning opposed to faith in general), and so the argument is invalid.

Finally we come to this one. Now at first, I really wanted to like this, but then I looked for images on "Typical Conservatives" and "Typical Republicans" so I could see if I found them offensive. I am not convinced there is anything like a typical liberal, but we do see many of these in Liberals. What I wish to focus on is two specific squares.
Tolerant: except of Christianity
Diverse: unless it's straight, white people

Over the last few weeks, we've heard a load of talk about contraceptives and abortion. First, the Komen foundation tried to split from Planned Parenthood (which is another misnomer). Now, Obama wants to force insurers to provide for abortions and contraceptives. I personally happen to have need of neither of those. I might never need them, and I reject the notion that I should bankroll those who do through open rebellion against my morality. Were I to openly rebel against theirs, they would have be hung, drawn, and quartered, albeit largely metaphorically.  Monday, I tweeted that "The contraceptive debate finally explains Obamacare: Monarchists want to fornicate at will without having to be responsible for children." At the grand opening of the Mob Museum Tuesday (Valentine's Day), former Vegas Mayor Goodman allegedly made comments that cheapen marriage by comparing a wedding ceremony to a mob induction, that once you say 'i do' you never get out. Finally, Wednesday I read an article about how fornication goes high tech. This is one of the things that's wrong with the world- sex as a form of recreation, which is expressly repugnant in the eyes of nature and of "Nature's God" (to quote Jefferson ;)). Humans are the only animals who think this is 'fun'.  The media and cultural icons have led us to believe that sex is fun, but sex isn't really that much fun. Our bodies like it for two reasons. First, our bodies desire to procreate and thereby guarantee the perpetuity of our genes to future generations as proof of their virility. Secondly, our bodies have learned to like sex because there's a pleasure receptor in our brain that is activated during sexual climax that has also been activated at exciting hockey games, during meteor showers, and when you eat potato chips, and our bodies are addicted to it.

These political moves are offensives in the war on morality and religion. I do not accept the premise that they're trying to make a better world for everyone.  What they're actually doing is meddling.  They're in our homes and in our heads without the right because they subscribe to the notion that although you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink that they can lead men to paradise by forcing him to be better.  Religion should be a matter of choice- that we choose to be choice.  In framing the Constitution, Madison wrote that it is for a moral and religious people, something that Monarchists cannot stand. In the marriage debate, some argue for Adam + Steve, but somehow polygamy, polyandry, and filiandry (marriage of close relatives) offend their sensibilities. So much for 'equality'. What they really mean is that they want what they want to be legal, our sensibilities be damned. So much for 'tolerance'. I find it ironic that they do not want the church involved in government but think nothing at all of government dictating terms to the church. When it comes to men of faith, my concern is always the same- even if they mean to rule well, they mean to rule. That is inconsistent with real faith, which makes men agents unto themselves as well as accountable for what they do.

These people want to do whatever they like but cry foul if you do in kind. I responded to a fellow's blog yesterday who complained that religous people always get what they want. When pressed for details, he cited the insertion of "In God We Trust" into the pledge. I followed up with "so, your idea of religious people getting everything they like is when they get something with which you happen to take exception? What is it called then when you get something to which I take exception?" That has gone thus far unanswered. They want standards to be ephemeral, to be integrated constantly. The only constant they accept is change, change to whatever whimsical notion they like at the time. That's not an adult attitude; that's the attitude of a teenager. If they could, they would pass laws that make it allowable to do whatever they like, but if you did that they would call it oppression. Human beings are not logical, and Spock was right to show us.

The radicals of both sides want to impose their morality on everyone else. They wage war against what we believe, and it's time for people to unite, whatever their belief, so that we can believe as we like and live as we ought. Last weekend, I started studying the foundations of the Confederacy. Many among the fans of this movement cite the right to live as they please according to the dictates of conscience. I echo the sentiments of Stonewall Jackson, that it's duplicitous to cry for freedom while you oppress an entire race, religion, nationality, or gender, that it's duplicitous to establish freedom by declaring that those who hold power ought to be denied their rights so you can have yours. Such a notion changes one man's idea of oppression for another's, and the war will go on and on while they scapegoat men of faith for holding fast to a standard.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Can I pose an observation, as a liberal?

I want you to have freedom of religion. I really, truly do. I want you to practice your religion and I respect your faith. But I also want you to NOT impose your religious beliefs on anyone else. I want you to let me live my life the way I would like, the way I am perfectly fine with letting you live your life as a Christian, and I would never get in the way of that. But it seems like, to you, being told you CAN'T impose your religious beliefs on anyone else is NOT freedom of religion.

Am I right? You want to be FREE to tell people that they're wrong and that they should live their lives a certain way. But that's precisely what I don't want. I want you to be free to practice your faith without interfering with anyone else's. This is what I want for all religions - for everyone to just live in peace and accept that everybody sees life a different way and has different beliefs. But it seems like, to you, being told you CAN'T interfere is an interference with YOUR faith in and of itself. So we're at a standstill?

Doug Funny said...

You're trying to put words in my mouth. What you claim you want IS what I want, which you would know if you read more than this one post. My friends know that I don't impose my beliefs on anyone, even members of my own Faith.

Also, I don't accept your premise. You can't 'live life the way you like' if you're living amorally. Name a religious faith that as an actual part of its dogma says murder is ok. You have written this as a question, but it's actually just a form of leading the witness, and I object.

Clearly you need to read more and listen more to what I say. I am glad you stopped by. I will also point out that anyone who really knows anything about me knows that I don't want to impose my beliefs on anyone. However, that is precisely what many people, no matter their political persuasion, seem purposed to accomplish.

Also, next time you try to argue, try some other rhetorical technique than "I agree, but..." People who study language know that when you say that, the infernal codicil translates to "I meant nothing of what proceeded it".

crzywldwmn said...

Amazing blog! I have to say that I agree with you. With the recent same-sex marriage debate in response to Chick-Fil-A, I took a stance for our first amendment rights to freedom of speech. Any other religion or belief that was attacked in this way would argue the same and not be questioned though. First of all, the CEO was asked this question and whoever did not already know what his answer would be is not paying much attention to the establishment's way of business. The organization is a Christian organization that anyone who knew anything about the business or "traditional" Christianity would know they believe in traditional marriage. The problem is that instead of accepting this to be the Christian based business that it is, they want to attack the belief because they do not want to tolerate beliefs other than their own. I agree we should be fair to everyone regardless of race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. I also, however, believe same-sex marriage to be a sin because of my religious beliefs. What never gets said however (or perhaps heard) is that (and I am speaking for myself here) just because I believe it to be a sin doesn't make me think less of you (if you are homosexual) because I cannot put a degree on sin and whose to say your sin is greater than mine. What we lack is dialogue, tolerance, and the ability to truly accept that others do not believe the same we do but we should accept that and move on. I am like you in that I do not want to force my beliefs on anyone else and can respect others who do not believe the same way as I. However, I do not believe it is right for someone to tell me how I have to practice my beliefs and make me stop praying in public or accept homosexuality, abortion, and other hot topics if I cannot accept these things because they are sinful and my God does not tolerate these things. Don't blame me for your lack of tolerance...I am very tolerant and always will be, but I have never been given that same respect when it comes to my beliefs and ethics. Because of my beliefs and ethics, however, I can tolerate you although you do not tolerate me regardless. I may not understand your beliefs or lack thereof, but I can respect you and your right to believe them (or not) because I expect the same respect from you. It is not a matter of telling people they are wrong...it is a matter of understanding we believe differently, accepting that is the way it is, and moving along. I will voice my beliefs when asked, but I would never tell someone they are wrong for theirs. You have to be willing to hear an answer to a question if you ask it...even if you may not agree with the answer you get!