23 February 2012

Kept Away

Share
I haven't posted as much as I normally do or would like. I've fallen behind on grading in class, and I have 10 assignments that needed to be graded, entered, and then returned, and I am woefully behind in my work. Of course I tell the students not to worry about grades, but they do, and so I've put my shoulder to that wheel.

There are so many things that keep us away from what we ought to do. Sometimes we're tired, other times we're busy, and some nights to be quite frank I couldn't care less. However, the work remains to be done, and there's nobody else I can ask to do the task and on whom I can rely to get things done that are mine to do.

Part of the problem is that I'm under a standing learning curve. When I am at my regular day job in the lab, I have had to learn new things every year for each of the four years I have been here. Professors change curriculum that requires the validation of new experimental procedures, procurement of new equipment and materials, changes in paperwork and timing, more attention to disposal, and learning of new techniques and responsibilities. In the classroom, I have now taught six unique courses in the three years I have been teaching. This year alone, I have taught four unique courses that I have never taught before. Consequently, I must write brand new lectures, quizzes, exams, homework, review sheets, ad infinium in order to prepare. So, I write everything, reproduce it, and then I have to grade it too, sometimes only a week or two after it first came into existence. It's a lot of work starting out.

My great satisfaction this week came in an email last night. One of my students asked me for practical advice in advance of a surgery. When she spoke with the surgeon and attendent physicians, they saluted her for taking those steps and endorsed them all as wise moves. Whatever else she does in life or in class, she learned something useful and practical from me. That is really cool.

I try to be reachable and approachable. Fairly early on, it becomes clear that I'm a big dork. I quote Spock and Serenity, tell jokes about hydrogen atoms in a bar, and confess not only my ineptitude in dating but my nonchalance thereat. Everyone wants to be accepted for who they really are without having to return the favor, and I want them to know I am glad to have them in class. I know that most of these people are already very accomplished. They applied, were accepted into college, and then took enough math, english, and introductory science to end up in chemistry. It kicks their butt. I want them to be successful and to excel in their chosen field. I don't want them to be kept away because of grades.

The other thing you probably don't know is that I am constantly interrupted by minor emergencies. Over the past several weeks, I have held several conversations with people who needed my help. I wouldn't be much of a friend if I were not there for them, and some of these conversations have occured during times when I intended to grade. The grades will eventually get done; this was a more immediate need.

Bit by bit, I hope to get caught up by the weekend on everything except the two exams I'm giving this week. I promised my Chemistry class last night I'd have their stuff back by Wednesday, which gives me a week, and the microbiology class can wait until the following Saturday. I feel better now and have some extra motivation, which should help me keep on task and productive in the hours of the evening besides just doing what I'd like to do.

1 comment:

Jan said...

It's nice to find out that maybe something you do makes a difference. And I know that your friends needed you and you were there for them.

And to me that's truly what is important in life. The grades will get done - love it that you take care of your students and friends. Not surprised.