31 May 2011

What Budget Crisis?

Share
They just replaced all the faucets in the building that serve our purified water system. We noticed last fall that there was corrosive rust in one of the icemakers, which indicated that the purified water was corroding the faucets. Apparently, when they installed the system, all of the lines are plastic except for the faucets, which are metallic.

One of the maintenance guys showed me the invoice. Each faucet cost $459.18 and they replaced 36 of them at a total cost of over $16,000. Budget crisis? What budget crisis? That's a significant chunk of my annual salary.

I don't see how this will be a good move. I am fairsure it's cheaper to replace all the faucets with brand new but uncorroded metal ones every few years (I've been in this office almost four years). Also, the maintenance guys are not sure these will last as long as the metal ones because when you cinch down the plastic threads to make it tight, they basically get destroyed. We'll see if this was money well spent.

This is evidence of my argument that we can cut things from the budget without cutting people. It's also evidence that a $300 hammer might be a perfectly acceptable price in the eyes of some folks. Maintenance doesn't think so and neither do I.

No comments: