17 May 2011

He Was From Samaria...

Share
While out for lunch today, I made a stop by the post office to fetch a package from Hong Kong that they refuse to deliver without a signature. As I pulled up to the station, I saw a single other car in the parking lot with its hood up while a man checked underneath it. After exiting my car, I asked him if he was ok. He told me to go ahead with my business and then asked for a jump when I was done. I asked him if he had cables, and he got situated while I went after my mail.

We tried to start his car, but it wasn't his battery. It sounds like it's a starter issue. He thanked me for my help and told me he'd call his cousin or something to come pick him up. The entire time, his wife stayed in the car and didn't make eye contact. By then, other people had pulled into the parking lot, but none of them came anywhere close to the man or me as I worked myself back into a position to exit the parking lot since I had pulled up perpendicular to him.

I think the man was surprised I had offered to help him at all. I think the other people who arrived were surprised he was even talking to me. The man's primary language was Spanish, and my primary ancestry is GB&I, and we aren't usually known for being the closest of friends. On top of that, when I exited my vehicle, I was dressed in my Harley Leather Jacket. Pretty much everywhere I go, that's enough for people to give me a wide berth.

A certain man, traveling the road from Jerusalem fell among thieves. They were evil men who robbed and beat him and left hm for dead. Two walked past, but the third helped the stranger. What was one of the most important details in the story is that the man who helped was from Samaria, in other words, the least likely person statistically and culturally to offer help.

For the better part of two years now, I have been involved with members of a Harley Christian Motorcycle Ministry. Among their number I have surprisingly discovered some of the most helpful, thoughtful, and Christian of people I have ever encountered. They don't look like it perhaps, but those we might think least likely to assist other people are frequently the first to actually do so.

The Good Neighbor was from Samaria. He was of different beliefs, values and norms, but he was able and he was available.

About a year ago, I spoke with a man I respect about a project he started to help other people. I decided to never be too busy to stop and check if people need help. Frequently, there is nothing I can do or nothing they need by the time I arrive, but I think people at least appreciate the thought, even if I am from what would be Samaria to them.

"God does notice us, and He watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." --Spencer W. Kimball

1 comment:

Jan said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thank you!