11 May 2011

Distill it Down

Share
I scored an "F" in college only one time I can recall. My teacher expressly asked for a 3-5 page paper, and I got so into it, that I turned in one that was more than seven pages long. Naturally, my professor didn't want to read all that extra work, and since I had not followed instructions rightfully issued me an 'F'.

People talk an awful lot. They go on and on making much ado about nothing. I had another professor who, although this never impacted me, took off points for nonsense, commonly referred to as "BS". What do you really want us to know? What is the bottom line? What do you want us to take home from this and actually use?

After the things I have read and studied, I could probably go on all day until your eyes glaze over. Many of the things I can discuss have a specific jargon. Some of the other professors and I have discussed how difficult it is sometimes to distill things down for the students to what they actually need at the level they currently occupy. We know a lot of unnecessary details, and sometimes it's hard to know where exactly to draw the line in detail, where they know enough.

Naturally, people complain. They want to know things they can use. Students want to know what they can regurgitate for the test. People are taught too often to answer questions rather than to solve problems, and it manifests at every level of civilized society. When I meet with students individually to answer questions, I point out that there are easy ways to focus your efforts, your study, and your time, but it doesn't seem like anyone has taught them this. There are usually a few (frequently, it's exactly three) salient points from which all the other details flow, and if you can pin those down and point them out, people will remember.

People apply only what they remember. They remember most frequently the bottom line. Keep it short, keep it simple, and keep it relevant. If it's about you, they won't care, and if it won't help them, they won't use it. Frequently, it can help them.  If only we always had an incorporeal voice from an old mentor to whisper in our ear to remember what we know.  Until then, distill it down.  They can handle it.

No comments: