17 April 2011

Be a Teacher

Share
My grandfather wrote what he wanted said of him at his own funeral, which was held yesterday. One of the things that stuck out was that if he were to do it over again, he would be a teacher. That kind of struck me for several reasons. First, it finally explains why he was so earnest about me getting a PhD, because he misunderstood what 'teacher' really means or requires. It struck me also because that's one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, where Thomas More tells Richard Rich to be a teacher because of who would know: "You, your pupils, God, not a bad publik, that." Finally, it struck me because grandpa, whether he knew or admitted it or not, was a teacher.

Grandpa was a teacher his entire life. Even though he was already dead, he taught us at his funeral. All of his sons spoke of the lessons he taught them, either in general principles or in specific examples. What many people remember most about him were the speaches, talks, and lessons he put together, some of which have now circled the globe even though the teachers don't know from whence the lessons originated. Every family gathering had a 'message', because he took his stewardship seriously to teach his children to walk in the ways of righteousness.

Although it's not the major point of the Savior's life, it is also in form to become like Christ to be a teacher. Frequently, people refer to him as the Master Teacher. He used parables, patience, and powerful prose to prick the hearts and minds of those with whom he interacted on earth. The teachings, and more importantly how Jesus lived what he taught, is the real crux of Christianity.

Teaching is one of the most crucial and yet one of the most visibly absent virtues of the modern world. Many 'teachers' are really lecturers. Many educators present what ought to be and do something completely opposite. Many parents are noticeably absent and pass off the duty to teach their children to strangers who either don't care or teach them adversely to the values of the home. Many of the teachers are there for a paycheck. As the quality of teachers continues to decline, what is being taught cannot elevate the children.

Of course, the children have a responsibility to learn. Many of them do not want to. There are even adults who will not confess they have anything to learn, no matter how common that attitude is among adolescents. Teaching is a mutual improvement association.

Grandpa John died as he lived- teaching. Even though he is now interred in the earth, the good he did lives after him. I sit here and think about things I learned at his funeral and resolved to do in light of this new experience. I am grateful I was old enough and mature enough to learn these things from his death. It has and will I am sure continue to teach me and remind me of things I already know. And I'm also sure he was snatched up quickly in that Next World to teach others as was the subject in which he was most expert. Godspeed grandpa, and thank you.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Teaching is what I love. I can't think of a better profession (or non-profession, in the case of your grandpa and many others as well) for anyone. I come from a long line of educators and love every opportunity I get to teach -- and to learn.