18 April 2011

Aiming High?

Share
Most of the students in our department are headed into the medical field. Most of those will go into nursing, with a smaller number going into dentistry or going on to medical school. By the time they get through the filter courses to anatomy, the shirkers and slackers are supposedly long gone. However, even back when I was in graduate school, you still had a large enough portion of students who just weren't quite with the program who made it through to the higher echelons.

Although I wear a labcoat almost every day at work, I am surprised at what they will reveal in my presence. I was just sitting in the hallway (I suppose I look enough like a student that they just think I'm a nerd), when I overheard the following:
"If I get 202 of the 270 points still available in the class I'll get a 79.5%"
"But 80% is a B."
"79.5% is 80%, rounded. I shoot for the bare minimum."
More to the point, he seemed proud of that. How much, on a scale of 1-10 increasing, would you like that person to be your nurse?

I hope that after they leave here they get a better vision of the work into which they are about to enter. Before you jump on the bandwagon of "we need more money" or "teachers suck" or "parents just don't care", consider how this particular young man made it into the nursing program. I don't know what his motivation is, and I question his commitment to learning.

No comments: