26 May 2010

Nerds are Trendy

Share
When I was younger, it was socially disadvantageous to be a nerd. Nobody wanted to date you. Everyone picked on you. When people spoke to you, you were always cautious of their motives, and for good reason. I could tell you personal anecdotes which I will keep to myself for now. Now, however, it has become vogue to be a nerd.

When Bill Gates made his fortune, it was suddenly fashionable to be a nerd. Gates, arguably one of the nerdiest men on the planet perhaps ever, rose to be for a time one of the richest men ever on the earth. As his empire boomed, so did all of the vocational pursuits generally selected by nerds in information technology. We had turned to that to keep busy when we were excluded from activities with other people, and now that those people want those gadgets, they need us and want us to help them keep their lifestyle. Everyone I know knows a nerd on whom to call if they have any sort of computer hiccup whatsoever.

of late, I have noticed that many of girls with excessive 'hotness' want to date nerds. The nerds they seek are not necessarily the brainiacs or 'dweeb' class like that to which I belong. They look for nerds who are into computers, play video games all the time, etc. I worked with a woman once who bought her live-in boyfriend a computer game so that she could get some time away from him. I know a young lady who only wants to date nerds because she likes their innocence in bed. Part of this might be the assumption that nerds will get rich like Gates, but a large part is that nerds stay. Eventually, these girls know they can count on their nerds because nerds usually have no hope at the kinds of relationships or the kinds of girls that jocks and preps could catch, and so if they win a girl like that, they keep her.

There are other reasons. I don't know the minds of girls very well who choose that kind of guy, but I have heard some disturbing things about why girls started to choose nerds. It might be part of the chickification of society- it's no longer vogue to get a masculine man. Look around at all the girls who pick guys with small waistbands and small ambitions over men who can protect them and earn a good living with which to care for them. More and more, some nerds act like girls. It probably comes from the time they spend with them, because girls would befriend nerds because they were safe, easy to put into the Friend Zone.

Being a nerd protected me from a lot of things when I grew up that no longer seem to be spared us. My peers knew I was a prude and a straight edge and a 'Puritan', and so they never offered me drugs, alcohol, or physical intimacy. It kept me away from places where and people with whom I might get into trouble. That's no longer the case. Everyone wants their nerd, and the nerds need to be wary.

The woman who offers you the enjoyment of her body outside of wedlock doesn't do it for you. She does it for her. She is after validation that she is desireable. She invites you to a feast which brings only disease. There was a good reason they didn't use to choose us, and there is an equally deceptive reason why they choose us today. It's not about us. It's about something else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there are the female nerds...now that's another story entirely.

Anonymous said...

And then there are the female nerds...now that's another story entirely.