16 May 2010

iJunk: Status Symbol

Share
I follow a blog where today the author detailed a list of reasons why you don't need an iPad. He makes a good point. Nobody actually "needs" an iPad. Everyone can get along without one just fine. Like everything else produced by Apple, it's simply a status symbol.

For a brief period of time, I owned an iPod. Most of the time I spent listening to music was in my car, and rather than buy an adaptor for iPod-Cassette, I just listened to cassette mix tapes, which I already filled with songs I like. After I realized I had no use or desire to keep it, I sold it and I own nothing from Apple. They have some neat applications, but I don't really need them. I use a MacBook at work from time to time, but I leave it chained up in a drawer when I go home.

As to this post, allow me to summarize. You already have plenty of devices that do exactly what the iPad does. They do it better. They are designed to. The iPad unites them into one device, but it's not optimized to do any of them well. In order to integrate with any of your other devices, you have to buy aftermarket adaptors from Apple. These are rather pricey. Electronic devices have not made our lives simpler. Now we worry about whether we have them or not, if the battery will last, and if we'll have signal. They have become a way for people to track us when we want to be alone, chains that reduce our freedom in some ways when people think they absolutely have to get ahold of us for the most asinine banalities imaginable. I heard today the iPhone v4 will be out soon. Everything from Apple is a fad and has to be constantly updated. I have owned three actual cellular phones in my entire life and I only dumped the first one when they forced me onto the digital network. The second one died when I dropped it off a cliff... Make it do or do without.

If you own Apple and love it and always have, then you're the exception. Most people who buy Apple products do so to fit in. They use their iTouch/iPad/iPod/iPhone/iWhatever to update their Facebook and Twitter and play dumb games in low quality. You're not cool if you have a regular phone, especially if it doesn't have a camera. Phones are for status, to show what you or the business who gave it to you can afford. iDontcare.

There are advantages to old things. They are easy to fix yourself. They are cheaper to register, to insure, and to operate. They are not fit with chips from Echelon so the CIA can track what you do URL or IRL. Books don't require batteries to be read. Radio doesn't require special earbuds or have a
Doomseed to destroy your entertainment. Nobody wants to steal old technology, and in fact you can probably pick up extra spares on Craigslist or through Freecycle. I do. Many old things are tried and true, which is why they still work in the first place.

I watch what comes out. I learn how it works and what it's useful for. The iPAD doesn't do anything new that I can't do better with something I already own. If you're a techie and you love that kind of stuff, great, but you don't need one. My needs are small, I buy them all at the nickel and dime. It gives me great freedom to do other things with my time and money.

No comments: