19 August 2009

My First Orchard

Share
Back on August 8th, I went up near Cedar City to start work on an orchard up there as part of an experiment in which I am involved. This pilot program may open up a philanthropic opportunity for me and allow me to use exactly what I learned in school to make some money and keep myself busy evenings and weekends.

The project is on a 5 acre plot about 30 minutes from Cedar City. Phase one involved the excavation and then soil augmentation for 74 trees of various species. Under the direction of the project manager I selected fruit and nut trees for their physiology, productivity, and climate/disease/pest resistance to test them for efficacy and productivity in the UT High Desert. They are planted according to the geometric "golden ratio" along the western periphary of the property. Each hole is 1 cubic yard in size (approximately 3'x3'x3'), cut out of mostly clay with some sparse igneous rock and then backfilled with a sand-manure-soil mix. Drainage pipe of 3' lengths was buried on the north and southwest quadrants to facilitate root growth to resist the prevailing dominant winds through the valley. Soil was remixed at a 2:1:1 ratio native:sand:amended.

I arrived at the site Thursday night around 8PM after a stop at Home Depot for some of the supplies. The next morning I spent about three hours marking out all of the holes at perfect angles and distance and discovered that the well on the property had sprung some sort of a leak. It didn't interfere with Phase 1. I removed all the debris from the previous attempt, procured the tools I needed for the next stage of Phase 1, secured delivery of a backhoe and the dirt, and began the excavations. From sunup to sundown, I worked, digging holes and moving dirt by wheelbarrow to as many of the holes as possible, retiring to bed just after 10PM local, exhausted and tired with a sore wrist.

The next morning, I hit the field at 6AM, and by 4PM, all the holes were dug, 27 were filled in with amended soil, and most of the others had the dirt nearby with which to fill them. I stopped because I was dehydrated and because I ran out of some of the supplies. All in all, the project has cost $1000 total, of which $700 was for dirt. Yes, I bought dirt. My wrist is damaged somehow, either from digging with the shovel or from twisting. A look at the anatomy models at work shows it's either a hairline fracture or damage to a ligament/tendon based on its locale. I have not been to the doctor because the only thing he can do that I can't is surgery, and I'd rather avoid that. It hurts to drive (no power steering) and to type, but I do both anyway.

Those days were some of the most peaceful and happy I have enjoyed for a long time. Every day, I got up despite being worn out physically with energy, rested, and ready to work. By the time it was done, I had a sunburn, having spent the entire day in the sun working. However, that's as close to utopia as most people could ever hope to come. Most of the people nearby came to watch and inquire as to the details. As for myself, I just worked and worked and had satisfaction in the fruits of my labor. Right now, it just looks like a huge gopher dug holes at perfect 45 degree arcs around the periphery at 90 degree angles, but when the trees go in and grow and prosper, it will be a glorious and wonderful sight indeed. It was a bit ambitious for the amount of time, but I really enjoyed it and I look forward to the day when I can rejoice in the finished project. Thought you ought to know.

Phase 2 will involve the finish work of irrigation, automation, and installation of trees. Phase 3 will involve a vineyard, berry plots, and a garden area. Phase 4 will involve a greenhouse with solar automation technology. The finished project will eventually serve for research purposes as to productivity, survivability, and sustainability in those conditions as well as become a modular family garden marketed and designed primarily for baby boomers and their immediate antecedants interested in locally-grown produce and self-sufficiency in locales distal to commercial centers like Cedar City or larger. Don't ask more details. I'm the scientific/plant consultant and the phsyical labor. I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Jeff VanD. said...

Dude, this is awesome Doug!! I totally want to see your Orchard one day! :)