23 August 2009

Go the Distance

Share
When I started training for the US Military's physical fitness battery, I knew in order to pass I had to start running. Just prior to that, I held a manual labor job, and so although I wasn't out of shape per se, it was hard for me to jog for a mile at first. Gradually, I increased the duration and intensity so that I could run both distance and time required by their test.

My dad gave me the advice to go for distance. If you can go for a long distance, then you can go a shorter length at greater speed because your body is used to dedicating a certain amount of resources. You just use them in a shorter amount of time.

I learned this is a good analogy for life. If you are one who is prepared to go the distance, you will be able to go places other people will not. Most people focus on the short game, quick returns, and the satisfaction of "your way right away". Failures often didn't realize how close they were to success when they quit. That's not how I choose to be.

Sure, I can run a good short game too. I have trained for certain things, and I get great satisfaction out of beating personal bests. Even the other day when I asked myself why, since I am not in the military, I still jog a 10K thrice weekly, I knew I would feel satisfaction at having done it when it was over, so I left the house at 5:20 and hit the course.

Go the distance. That's where what's really worth having is anyway.

No comments: