26 August 2009

Born For This Day

Share
Although I read it before I left for work this morning, I have pondered the following verse all day from Esther 4:14


For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

Growing up, there have been several other things that put this concept into my mind. My grandparents had a hanging in their home that said, "If not now, when. If not I, then who?" Plus, the Declaration of Independence says "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security". Basically, those who have the capability have the responsibility.

The verse from Esther added another element on which I had not previously thought. It goes along with something I read from Jack Kornfeld's "The Wise Heart" which says that people fear more the discovery that they are great than they would to discover that they are a bum. Maybe you were born or brought into this situation exactly for the purpose to deal with it.

If you care about it and find yourself in a position to do something about it, chances are it is on purpose. Sometimes the things which may be asked of you may be difficult. Sometimes they may be painful. In the end, it is always better to do what is right and let the consequence follow. A long time ago, I swore an oath:


Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong
.
I would be true, for there are those who trust me. I would be pure for there are those who care. I would be strong for there is much to suffer. I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

I have never really appreciated the story of Esther as much as I do today. Nor have I ever considered her plight. Nobody knew her lineage who would betray her, but she traded comfort and security for what was right. What are we willing to trade?

No comments: