13 March 2009

Finding the Founding Fathers’ Fathers

Share
When I first started researching the Founding Fathers, people asked me if I was related to George Walton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Cool as it would be, I have thus far been unable to prove any genealogical association with that man, although he may very well be related.

Like George, I found it fascinating that so few of the Founders left descendents, let alone of their own namesake. Many of them had no children or outlived theirs due to war, disease, and the like brought on by George III and the revolution. Even if George and I are relatives, I do not sadly descend from his loins.

Just today I wondered suddenly why we never hear about their parents. I wonder what Washington’s and Jefferson’s fathers thought about the path they undertook. At the time of the revolution, they were men of middle age, in their 50s or 30s respectively, so their fathers might very well have been around. How did they react to what their sons undertook? I wonder this because I have been thinking about how my parents react to my political inclinations, how in our area the Hafens support each other for political office due to family ties, and what that means for the future.

Resolved: in my copious free time, research the Founding Fathers’ Fathers, which should give me some idea of from whence they came so that I can recognize the next generation thereof when it of necessity arises.

No comments: