23 March 2009

Bonusgate Scandal

Share
Some people seem shocked that I’m not bothered by Bonusgate. What bothers me most is not how AIG pisses away $165 million but how the Obama Administration under the guise of fairness will piss away $10 trillion. AIG will “waste” about 1/10th of 1% of what Obama proposes to waste through fraud and abuse.

My last employer gave bonuses for performance. Although we earned a competitive and fair wage for our hourly employ, certain work benchmarks were designed to allow us opportunity to share in the profits of our labor. However, due to mismanagement, it inevitably ended that we, the hourly workers, rarely if ever received tuppence for our work. Rest assured management pocketed their bonuses. That’s probably partly why they refused to promote me (because they’d have to replace their #1 hourly worker and take a lower bonus) and refused to fire me when I spoke up to bad leadership. However, their neglect of my concerns, which were shared among the general working body, kept us inexorably in a position where due to accidents, training, damages, and the like we never qualified for a bonus.

Relatively soon after I left, but not necessarily due to my official letter of resignation, the home office terminated the general manager, who had been with the company for seven years. The organization had languished with problems in turnover and productivity, and although I had nothing against D.P., since he bears ultimate responsibility, they replaced him. I hope things are looking up, but I doubt it. The 600 of us they hired were the top 1% of applicants, and many of those they hired were no prize. If they don’t do something to reward the people who get the job done, ultimately this locale if not the corporation entire will fold under the weight of incompetence in high echelons.

In a privately run organization dependent on customers who purchase products to furnish monies to the operating costs of a company, the manipulation of a bonus system can only go so far before the assets of the company fold and it collapses like a house of cards. The reason why I worry more about government is that its revenue stream depends not on the quality of the goods and services it produces but upon the size of its population and the industry of each individual therein. Under a government that awards bonuses and pelf on false pretenses, it can collapse only when the people are so wasted that there remains no product of labor to bequeath to each feudal vassal or that the people rebel there against and overthrow the government. Business poorly run eventually collapses under the weight of mismanagement. Governments poorly run can only be overthrown in exchange for the lifeblood of their people. When that sad moment comes, the most vibrant and productive members of society will be spent in heaps upon the ground, their potential gone, their lifeblood useful for nothing more than fertilizer upon ground in which to hopefully plant a successful subsequent attempt.

When my employer cited me for “insubordination”, I told my manager that the only recourse remaining to me was to leave the organization. When I left, the general manager asked me what he could do to change my mind and keep me. I told him, “You should have been doing it for the last year.” I have never been easily replaceable. Not many people will give 130% as a RULE for 100% of the pay, and Americans sure as shooting will not invest 200% the effort to keep society working for the drones and losers who constantly gripe about apparent slights and wouldn’t lift a finger to get the job done. They “deserve” nothing. They drag down our entire society. I don’t know what the people at AIG did to get bonuses, but I know that sometimes deserving people receive them and that also sometimes deserving people get shafted.

In Tolkien’s novel, Gandalf responds to Frodo’s objection that life isn’t fair with this statement, “Many that live deserve death. Many that die deserve life. Will you give it to them?” IT is not for us to be fair and equal. It is for us to be JUST. Justice in the end demands that the laws be followed. Obama would do well to remember that.

God’s justice will be done.

No comments: