15 December 2008

South For the Winter

Share
I left Cedar City last night to avoid the storm coming in this morning, knowing that after the 6-8" of snow that accumulated in UT it would only get more difficult to get back to Vegas and go to work. When I got up this morning to exercise, to my surprise and dismay, I found that it was snowing outside and briskly windy. It makes it really hard to ride a bike under those conditions.

According to the news, the snow level drops today to 2000 ft, which means snow could fall anywhere in this city. I think I'll take my time getting home. Everyone knows how bad the first storms can be in places where people are USED to driving in snow. It can only be worse here, and I commute 21 miles one way...

This just goes to show that the term "desert" has nothing whatsoever to do with temperature...it's all about rainfall, and although odd and impressive, I think we're tracking near average for annual precipitation. Usually it comes as rain.

No comments: