05 December 2008

Think About It

Share
This week, some short profundities of thought kept coming to mind, one in particular about which I wish to speak. Some time ago, I attended some meetings on the subject of statesmanship and leadership where the presenter and speaker asked the audience to list off people who showed those qualities. As I listened to some of them, I realized that among the crowd I seemed to be the only person not enamored with Ron Paul and Ayn Rand. Not that I have any problems with these two individuals, but unlike at least a verbal majority of the attendees, I consider other people of paramount importance before I ever think of those two names. However, open as I am to the opinions of others, I listened to see first where the activity was headed and then to how he used the names proffered.

As I was working on my thoughts for this entry, one of my readers came onto messenger to respond to my having previously thanked him for a comment. He told me that he enjoyed reading what I wrote, even if he didn't always agree with me, but that the salient point was that it got him to think about things. That's my real goal here, not that all men should agree with me per se but to get readers to consider the issues I bring up. I want people to think about things that ought to be thought about, knowing full well that many of my views are not shared by anyone. After all, how many of your neighbors and friends between them can't put together an original thought, instead reciting the views of other people that they heard.

Someone asked me about a year ago why, given my fervent views and ardent patriotism, I don't move to Utah and avail myself of the Mormon influence there to get myself elected to public office. I explained to them that I differ greatly in my views from many people of my own faith. Like Obi Wan told Luke, much of what he hold true depends upon our point of view, and despite commonality of religious affirmation, we come from different places. Other people believe what they believe and feel how they feel based on an amalgamation of their education and experience. That they have not experienced things as I have or learned that to which I've had access doesn't make their opinions and attitudes wrong. They make perfect logical sense in context of their lives.

Von Mises, who I've been reading in Human Behavior of late, talks about how things make logic sense based upon the point of view. Smith in Moral Sentiments however points out that it's impossible for us to completely understand and empathize because we cannot really put ourselves in anyone else's shoes. However, to seek to understand and be understood, to think upon why people do what they do, believe what they believe and say what they say is necessary for communication and cooperation. Think about it.

Another friend of mine discovered that he and I are not so different after all. Although we disagree in the means to the ends we seek, we agree on the ends. In truth, I think most people want the same things and simply disagree on how best to reach those ends. Where their means are driven by wickedness, they need to be corrected. Where their means are birthed in ignorance, they need to be educated. Where their means are buoyed up by righteousness they need to be endorsed. I maintain as heretofore that I believe it is uncommon for the majority to desire that which is not right unless irredeemably wicked or woefully ignorant. Sometimes they may not choose the best thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't a right thing.

When you read these things, if it be wisdom in God that you read them, I would that you should ponder it in your hearts. Then make a choice where you stand and stop leaning on the opinions, experiences, attitudes, and biases of others. Think about it. That's why you have a brain.

No comments: