03 December 2008

Sawing Logs

Share
This morning marks the second time I've been awake to hear someone using a saw before 6AM. Yes, I wake up just after 5AM, but I don't immediately open up with the lawn mower, power tools, the radio, or my guitar. I do things that are quiet in the quiet hours of the morning because I realize that in a metaphorical sense most of my neighbors are sawing logs of their own.

I suppose that whoever it is who insists on making sawdust that early does so for a good reason, but he's not the only person who makes decisions for reasons that escape logic. As I left for work yesterday, at one of about a half dozen stop signs I go through enroute to work, a person on the cross street which does not have a stop sign came to a stop and waved me across. The cars behind her didn't think that was very kind, and neither truth be told did I, since I was held up by her gesture.

The proper flow of society demands that people follow the law, not just as written in statutes but also the law of reason and logic. If you have the right of way, it does not make sense to yield it, because other people probably made decisions according to the law, and you inconvenience everyone when you defy the law, even if in an effort to make some magnanimous gesture.

The odd thing about the sawing is that the landscape crews that frequent the neighborhood do not start work until some time between 6:30 and 6:45. I know; I jog by them while they wait and then again later while they are at work. I guess it just boils down to common courtesy- to try as much as possible to put yourself in the shoes of other people and not do things that would disturb their peace when there are plenty of perfect opportunities to do it at times or places where we expect people to make noise.

1 comment:

Bri said...

Reminds me of not too long ago when we were woken up to the sound of mexican polka music at 7 AM from the apartments behind us. This lasted for about an hour and could be heard through our entire house, cinder block wall notwithstanding.

I dont care if it is Saturday, as most of us only have that day available to sleep in. Not that I take the opportunity, but my wife and kids do, and I like the quiet time to read.