25 March 2008

Mark My Words

Share
In this day of rapid media dissemination of information coupled to archival facilities on the internet, it pays to mark your words. Within minutes of a speech, a blog post, an email, etc., whatever you said is stored, scanned by the NSA, and potentially targetted by other internet commentators some of whom are paid to read the asinine scribblings that clutter the information age.

Someone will probably take down your words word for word, chronicling it forever on the internet. Beware then accusations and criticism of your comments unless you prepare before sharing your thoughts what documentation might be required with which to make a case against your accusers. The wiles of men are quick and devious, and they can be ruinous if you're not careful.


Enter Senator Clinton, currently under attack today from talk radio and even CBS news for dressing up a routine trip to Bosnia in 1996 in such a way as to seem heroic. Her feeble attempt thereby to buoy up her image fell flat as early as last week when Mark Levin detailed on his radio show how Sinbad (who was with the senator) discounted her account of their visit as highly fantasic and fictitious. He stopped short of calling it an out-and-out lie, which is essentially what it is. Even more scathing, the average man may access the actual text of her prepared remarks on Senator Clinton's official campaign website. In case they are removed, as they inevitably will be, they are also available at Jabberwonk. Leave no doubt that what she said 12 years ago resembles not one whit that which she alleges to have said today.

Much has been made in recent weeks about Reverend Jeremiah Wright's comments. Senator Obama dismissed it as "just words" after touting the value of words in an early speech, mentioning some powerful examples such as the Declaration of Independence and King's "I Have a Dream" address. Reverend Wright ostensibly spoke from the hip without prepared remarks, according to Senator Obama's affirmation, but apparently Senator Clinton gave a PREPARED address. How can you misread your own notes?

At my high school commencement, as valedictorian, I was invited to speak. After several iterations of my proposed remarks suffered high censorship, I brought in what I always intended to say and ignored the binder on the podium. Nobody expected me, he who was most likely to succeed, from any untoward underhandedness, and it caught them completely by surprise. In other words, I knew what I wanted to say, and I wasn't going to let them tell me what I was allowed to say. A person as powerful as Senator Clinton wouldn't let someone else dictate words to her with which she did not stand in agreement.

Politicians make scabs of promises, with little to no intention whatsoever of keeping them. They give speeches, then excuse it conveniently as simply an error. Only they can get away with that. I remember fighting with my wife and trying to convince her that what she heard was not what I meant. She did not often buy that argument. Why do we buy it from Senator Clinton or Reverend Wright?

Eventually, due mostly to the valiant circumspect of talk radio, I expect that everyone involved in campaigning this year will be called to carpet when what they do deviates from what they said. In the end, there will be an accounting with a Great Judge who cannot lie and will not deceive. Then, it will be with us as it will be for Ben Wagner's father after the local "witch" put's a curse on him called the "Bizinko", saying, "Your words will fly back into your mouth like a bucket of bilge." Or as a much wiser man said, "For our words will condemn us, yea, all our works will condemn us; we shall not be found spotless; and our thoughts will also condemn us; and in this awful state we shall not dare to look up to our God; and we would fain be glad if we could command the rocks and the mountains to fall upon us to hide us from his presence."

Mark my words. No matter what may appear, no evil man may escape the awful consequences of his wickedness. Likewise, God will deny no righteous man the blessings earned as fruits of his labor. Then at last, we shall know them all and be known in turn by all.

Often during my marriage my wife would allege I'd said things. Without evidence discounting her allegations, no recourse remained except to defy her or relinquish the argument. To keep the peace, I often surrendered. Eventually, I started recording things, and during our divorce, I conducted all correspondence through email so as to have a written record that I could simply Google and prove that I was right. This made me suspect that she'd concocted most of her allegations in order to manipulate me, knowing I was a man of honor and would honor it if she convinced me I said it. The idea actually came from my divorce attorney (reference available on request), for said he the police do it, so why not we? Plus, it makes for a great show when the judge hears or sees the plaintiff dig her own grave. I hardly had to even fight.

I try not to write or at least disseminate things until I'm done fleshing them out. Even these posts usually sit on the laptop which is not connected to the internet overnight until I get around to posting them. In the end, however, stand by what you say and do. It might not be spot on, but people appreciate intellectual honesty and will welcome your reasoned and honest explanation of how you arose at your conclusions. Many more still may sympathize or at least empathize with that path. If you act like Hamlet, you invite the just wrath and scorn of your critics upon you.

Word.

No comments: