04 May 2015

Clueless Joe

Share
One of the worst things about being a professor is the people, which is unfortunate because our job depends almost entirely on people. Most of the time, as much as I hate the shenanigans, I let it go, but last week, while I was out for bereavement, Clueless Joe threw me under the bus rather than admit his own ineptitude, and I am not happy. Today he came in without a shred of penitence, and I thought you ought to know about these people in Higher Ed.

Many members of higher education look down on you because of their lofty educational level. It's not always the case, but in truth very few of them recognize that it's not stratification as much as specialization. I know a great deal about polyphenolics and diterpenoids in Rosacea subjected to abiotic stress (things you smell and taste in the rose family), but my students laugh to think I know almost zero anatomy. When I talk to James, I sometimes think, "well, I've heard those words before" but don't understand what he's talking about. He paid me the great honor of asking me to proofread his lecture notes on Biochemistry. He's an analytical chemist; I'm a biochemist. However, Clueless Joe pretends and portends to have all knowledge about everything under the sun which is funny since he frequently invades my work space to ask what I find to be simple questions about basic chemistry. He also seems inordinately impressed by simple demos. It's like watching a child at his first fireworks.

Many members of higher education refuse to do things that they consider to be beneath them. Rather than proactively search for the pH meters I forgot to leave out on Monday, he sent emails roasting me for failure to perform. My superiors, cognizant of my circumstances and the reason for my absentia, deflected it. They also suggested he try something else, but he waited until 9PM last Monday night to notify anyone, far too late to have any effect. I can't fix a problem I don't know exists, and I don't understand why he can't be familiar with his own work area. If he simply looked through cabinets in the lab, he would find the pH meters; the technician I asked to set them out Tuesday had no trouble finding them and he doesn't even have a BS! Clearly education isn't everything, is it, Mr Potter?

Many members of higher education blame others for their own incompetence, making mountains out of molehills. Even after Amanda addressed it with Clueless Joe, Joe refused to let it go. I got another condescending email Wednesday last, and he came in today as if I was an incompetent boob. Although far advanced in age compared to me, he doesn't seem capable of handling this like an adult, so I'll take it to my superiors and let them put him in his place. Clueless Joe is an adjunct, and as much as we need him he is easily replaced and doesn't seem to understand that. You either get in line or they replace you.

I really detest being thrown under the bus by incompetent people masquerading behind lofty titles and titular credentials. I remember Dr. Reitz told me "An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing at all." This man, Clueless Joe, must have specialized so much that he doesn't know anything besides how to cast aspersions and lay blame. Twice, I cited him for failure to enforce proper personal protection equipment use by students, and I have to find something for him almost every week. I am not sure he's literate, but he has a PhD. Clearly that means nothing. I sign my emails with the signature "No fancy title" usually, because I know that I am just an ordinary guy with a fascination with a small part of the Creator's works. I know I'm a Clueless Joe. Unfortunately too few people do.

No comments: