17 May 2015

Must Love Dogs

Share
For many years now, people remind me that you can tell a lot about a person based on how he treats animals. Several times now, I've met women who claim to love animals but don't own any and who are upset about the beagles I love. Mine buck the system when it comes to normal dog behavior, being less likely to shed or howl like so many other people tell me about their beagles. As I have written previously, beagles taught me about selfless love, and the way people respond to dogs really does tell you something about them.

Lots of people own dogs and say they love dogs who don't really care about them. I watch people drag dogs around the neighborhood on leashes or leave their pets in the elements outside. I admit I don't allow a beagle to have the run of the house when I'm away, but I made provision for him to come in from the elements that also kept him away from things I don't want him eating. Maybe I don't spend as much time with him or as much money on food as I should, but I do spend time with him and enjoy watching him run around the yard or house or even at my parents' place. Mostly, I think he just liked being with me. He used to sit in a chair next to me while I would eat or watch TV just to be near me. They really are den animals.

Dogs love to please. My parents' male recognizes me as the first human male alpha dog because I knew him as a puppy. I've had beagles bring me dead rabbits, dead rattlesnakes, or other things as prizes to show they love me. When I came home depressed, he would lick my hands. When I was playful, he bounced around near me. When we went for a walk, he stayed near my side at a close heel. When I was sick or fearful, he would sleep on the floor near the bed to watch out for and over me. You must love dogs because I have seen them love me, and if you love them, you also love a part of me.

My dogs are family to me. Each of my beagles was like one of my own children. In many ways, they are like children, perpetually, and learning to care for and care about them tells me how much someone will care for and care about what I love. I know they shed, they slobber, and they require care, but so will our kids, and if you can't care for a dog, I don't know if you'll care for the rest of my family. Like dogs, the most important thing you can give children is your attention and your presence. Dogs are my family. As a breeder, I gave them life.

I hope that in the end God will look at me like I look at dogs. You've heard that all dogs go to heaven, and maybe all Dougs will too. I miss every one of them that I have lost. I hope they will forgive me for not spending enough time with them when I was a younger breeder. I hope that when I arrive in heaven to be greeted by the animals I have known and loved because I learned most of what I know about love from them. I have seen them forgive me frankly and immediately, even if and when I didn't deserve it as much as I wanted to. I have seen them excited to see me no matter what, no matter when, and no matter how I felt. I have always been welcome in their company, and I hope I will be welcome in His. If we really can be judged by how we treat animals, then I think I know what I can expect from my Father God. They are a major part of the stewardship He granted me while on this earth, and I think I've done ok. At least the dogs seem to think so. You must love dogs. That doesn't mean you have to own one or whatever, but loving them is loving me.

No comments: