28 March 2015

Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires

Share
Today didn't turn out to be the kind of hike I originally anticipated. We got a late start as it was, and the park was packed, but I think we arrived right when we needed to be there. It's early in the season, and according to Smokey the Bear we're actually not at big risk for forest fires, but that assumes everything is equal. Everything is not equal, and sometimes I get to do things I never expected.

My buddy Jay and I decided to go up Rocky Gap Road to the escarpment so that we could fire some guns and try out my new .44 Mag. We like this trail because it's actually a steep ascent and 12 miles round trip through the back country without a lot of other people around. We saw one group coming down, and they only went about 2.5 miles to what they called "the waterfalls" which is a spring that's getting overexposed to hikers. We passed everyone else, only to be first to arrive on scene of a forest fire in the making.

Despite prohibitions to the contrary, there is a campsite just a short way up Rocky Gap Road. There are actually several, but this is the first one and the easiest defined. Shortly before we arrived, we could smell the distinct odor of burning pine sap on the wind, which told us the fire was strong. At the site, there were visible flames coming from a completely unattended fire pit. I urinated on the fire, and we poured what water we had on it, and then we threw dirt all over it to try to smother the flames, but it continued to smolder. We couldn't tell if any of it had spread, and so we did what it took to call in the fire.

Paradoxically, smart phones have no reception when you need them the most. Also, nobody we met seemed to take it seriously enough to actually act. So, we got to the ranger station to report the fire and gave details and request assistance. By that time, over ninety minutes had passed. Before too long, we saw a firefighter plane flying into the canyon, and I assume they found the fire and doused it sufficiently. We aborted our hike in order to make sure we could hike again. Two summers ago, a fire at Mt. Charleston put several trails out of commission, and rather than not be able to hike for a while, we decided to call it off today.

As we drove away from a personally disappointing day, I remembered the words of Smokey the Bear, that only I can prevent forest fires. Far too many of them are started by people. Far too few of them are fought by people who can and will act. Far too often, too few hear and heed the call to serve, to act. Jay and I were not prepared for this level of effort. We did what we could, and then we called in the professionals to finish the job for us. It's kind of above my pay grade, but we did something about it rather than talk. That's probably the story of my life.

I act all the time, and I do the best I can. When fires pop up in my life, I do what I can to stop them. When I can, I nurture the things around me that can grow. Like the fire, sometimes things are beyond my ability, beyond my skills, beyond my power, and beyond my comprehension. I trust that by calling in help, by appealing to God, that the best things will happen. I'm kind of still waiting to see what will happen. I'm assuming the fire at Red Rock is out. I hope God will come to rescue me as quickly as those people responded to my call for help.

No comments: