12 February 2015

Toilette Etiquette

Share
Thrice this week at work, I went to the bathroom intending to "sit" only to find myself forced into the handicapped stall. This bothers me on several levels. First off, the occupied toilet stalls were occupied not by men sitting but by men standing to urinate in the open toilet bowl. Although there are several urinals specifically for that purpose and despite the fact that none of them were occupied, these men chose to urinate where I must defecate. Additionally, this is where men are most apt to make a mess in the bathroom, as few of them care about confining the stream to the bowl or clean up after themselves, meaning that subsequently I will be unable to use those stalls after they finish. I also live in lurid fear of the fact that one of these days someone who needs the handicapped stall will be there glaring at me when I finish, as if I intentionally chose that stall to inconvenience him.

It surprises me that so many people who talk a big game about looking out for others are so self-centered. There is a woman who works in the campus administrator's office who does not appear handicapped who twice this week, seeing the dearth of proximal parking places, played that card in order to park close to the building. It is inconsiderate to people who actually need those spots when she is otherwise capable and other spots remain open. At least in my case I had no other choice. C'est la vie.

No comments: