06 January 2015

While Time Remains

Share
Odysseus is tempted by the Syrens in the greek tragedy to seek after things of no worth while there was still time, but there are things for which little time remains. I left town last Thursday to join my parents in visiting all of my living grandparents before they die. You see, given health concerns, age, and odds, we doubt any of them will live to see the next new year. Interestingly enough, they all had things to say to me by way of praise, and I am glad that I went. When my paternal grandfather died four years ago in April, I felt peace because I had visited him and communicated with him while I could. Although there are things I'd like to ask him, I know that the time we have with those we love is precious.

We should never assume that the people about whom we care know how we feel but should let them know. All of my grandparents told me how much they loved me, that they respected me, and that I had "always been good to them". While that last one isn't necessarily true, I think they meant more about my time as an adult when I finally appreciated them. My paternal grandmother thanks me regularly for calling, visiting, and writing letters back to her, particularly because other grandchildren never do. It has been said that if there are good things to say that they should be said whilst someone yet lives and not wait until the funeral. In large part, that's why I lionize them periodically on this blog, because I was born into a good family. The more people I meet, the more I thank God for the parents I have!

At my grandpa's funeral, there were many cousins who lived closer who regretted not visiting more often. Although I travel to the area infrequently, when I made my biannual trip, I stopped in for a visit however briefly. I even put up with the gentle and tender albeit regular chastisement about the fact that I have a beard. Unlike some of the women I date, my grandparents opined my facial hair and then left as what might be their final words to me a bit of praise. If I had known, I would have recorded it, but it didn't strike me until I was driving back in the dark while my parents slept in the car how much I'd like to have their words.

Shakespeare taught us that "life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour on stage and is heard no more". Well, I don't subscribe to the image entirely, but our time on earth and in this life IS finite. For this reason, it's so important to tell people the truth, to love as much and as well as you can manage, and to repent as frequently as possible. This life is the time for men to prepare to meet God. I'm not sure how prepared I am, and I'm not sure how well my grandparents will do, but it's a harbinger to us to use the time we have left. All of you probably have more than a year. Some of you don't, and that will be sad.

Back in August 2013, when someone I loved was taken from me, I wrote the following: "People come into our lives sometimes only for a season. Sometimes that season is shorter than we'd like." I still don't know why these things must be, and although I don't think everything is so we can learn to appreciate what we have, every loss does at least serve that purpose. They remind us what we have, what really matters to us, and that we sometimes don't realize what we have until it is taken from us. For those of you who still have time, use 2015 wisely. It is a time of turmoil and uncertainty. Now is the time to prepare for what may come. Now is the time to prepare to meet God, because you WILL. Sometimes that scares me, but I also know that He talks to me and sends me messages, and I draw confidence from that because He does not strive with men who have no chance. At least I still have one. I shall strive to be better in that aspect in 2015.

No comments: