18 January 2015

Tigger Tie

Share
A few weeks from now, we will have a church conference, which means it's time for my conference tie. Unlike other people there, who will dress down comfortably or dress up more to impress the "visiting authority" whoever that proves to be, I will wear my Tigger Tie. The reason for it is simple. Conference is sometimes difficult for me. They will usually talk about things that don't apply to me, and since there will be plenty of other people to whom it doesn't apply either, I'll wear the Tigger Tie to entertain them.

I first wore the Tigger Tie to conference on accident. At the end of Conference, I felt a tug at the bottom of my sport coat. Since I was alone, I didn't expect anyone to talk to me let alone tug at my clothing to get my attention. When I turned to address the petitioner, it turned out to be a small boy who, at the encouragement of his mother, came to tell me that he liked my tie. I make it a point to wear it to conference, because the children recognize that, and if their parents are wise there is a lesson in Tigger. Even if they don't get anything out of Conference, since most of the remarks are addressed at parents, they can look at the tie and take something away from it.

Tigger has always been my favorite character from the Hundred Acre Wood, at least as far back as I recollect. He represents an attitude towards life that appeals to children and inspires the mind. Although he is all about fun, Tigger is into harmless fun and frolic. He enjoys whatever he's doing. He is comfortable with himself. He likes who he is. That is something that too few of us can say as humans. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. Tigger loves adventure. Tigger doesn't leave the other animals in the Hundred Acre Wood, and he tries to be helpful.

For me, Tigger represents a good attitude towards life to show children. Far too often, we stop acting true to ourselves as we grow and change to please the jury. Very few of us like our own company. Very few of us can entertain ourselves or find pleasure in the simple joys of life. Tigger makes for a good companion. He encourages without pushing. He uplifts without denigrating others. He has a spring in his step and in his attitude. Children who recognize him associate that with cartoons and stories that they enjoy, and there is something positive for them in conference.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and give that tie to that little boy, but if I had, I couldn't keep up this tradition. Periodically, when children in rows in front of me turn around, they recognize the character from stories, and then they pay attention to me. I am certain the adults wish they would pay attention to the remarks, but let's be honest about how likely that is. Nobody seems upset about the fact that I do this, and at least it gets them to do something besides play with electronic gadgets, if only for a few minutes, and reminds them of a true joy in life. We could use more of the good things from childhood in our lives, and we could all use a little more joy.

No comments: