21 August 2014

Defining the Relationship With the Department

Share
I spoke with my father last weekend about my position and prospects at the college, because I was afraid I had shot myself in the foot. Several weeks back, the provost asked me to teach an advanced chemistry course in lieu of another lower level class. Flattered though I was, I opted against it, because I wasn’t sure that was a good move for me. I’m not sure if they intend to make me part of their organization long term or use me as a door mat. Fortunately for me, like every other job I have ever had so far, they need me more than I need them, so I’m in a good position.


When they first hired me on a provisional basis, I accepted everything eagerly and quickly. I had hope that in doing so they would see me as an asset and decide to make my position with them more permanent and secure. My first spring semester, I gave up every Saturday to teach a microbiology class. I accepted changes last minute to my schedule on multiple occasions, even when students had eagerly enrolled in order to have me as their teacher. I took on as many credits to teach as they let students take one term, and it almost burned me out completely, but I wanted to know my limits and volunteered to help them. My first summer, I was rejected on an application for a permanent professional position for which the Chair had insisted I apply in favor of the incumbent.  Yet, they keep talking about how they’re “working on it” when I ask about making my spot permanent.



While filling out my contract for fall, the chemistry coordinator popped in to ask me if I could take on an additional two courses. I know they see this as a win-win scenario, but it’s mostly a win for them. However popular I am with students, I don’t get any extra money for doing more than my “fair share”. In fact, they cannot pay less than I earn. I got a raise in 2014 because they raised the minimum pay, not because I am a valued member of the team. When I realized that teaching this higher level course would require lots more work with no increase in pay, I decided against it and asked to keep my load. They were surprised.



Hopefully, this is a wake up call for them rather than a misstep for me. If they intend to make me a long term asset in their organization, now is the time to show: accommodate me and make me part of the regular pay paradigm instead of paying me on a per course basis in which I earn the same per class regardless of how many students or the course complexity. In the past three years, I have taught seven unique course numbers requiring new prep and lectures and tests, and since I rewrite all my tests and quizzes, it’s more work than using a test bank. I also don’t use scantrons, so I have to read everything, and I don’t have a TA to help me grade. Oh, they also asked me this summer for copies of the unique laboratory exercises I wrote and use. I told them that they could buy them from me like they buy labs from other people. Since I’m not technically a full time employee of the institution, they do not have rights to my intellectual property.



Unfortunately, most organizations do not really look at things with the proper long term perspective. They look at what helps them in the moment rather than what helps the organization achieve its mission. So, what they also don’t know yet is that I don’t intend to teach next summer at all. I don’t get any extra money above the per class rate, and I hate having to squeeze my vacation into the three weeks bracketing summer in order to not miss out on any vacation at all. I don’t live to work. If they are looking to add someone else to their family besides myself, it’s probably time they started searching for that individual instead.



If this goes towards the unfortunate conclusion in which my association with them ends, it will be a loss for everyone. The nice thing is that I am the one who loses the least. I don’t need the money. I do this because it fills my days with productive endeavors for which I get paid. They will be robbed of a good instructor, and the students who come after will have a different exposure and appreciation. Someone in the office told me recently, “Finding instructors is easier than finding highly qualified ones” and yet they are not interested apparently in making me a permanent member of the team. Where do they see this going? Why do they keep me? What do they hope to accomplish by hiring me on a provisional basis? The two classes that the Coordinator wants staffed came open because another person took a full time permanent station elsewhere. The writing is on the wall. I teach because I enjoy it and because it's sufficiently rewarding to allow me to do everything I like to do that lies in my power. If they like my work, they should lock it down before it flies away somewhere else or before I simply decide I would rather exercise, go out, or do something other than teach at times they find difficult to staff.

No comments: