02 August 2014

Accidentally Fashionable

Share
Like most scientists, I don't dress all that impressively. While my sister proved indispensable in selecting new shirts to wear to class each year, by and large I don't do all that much to get gussied up for anything. For the first six lectures, I wear a full suit to class, and then I gradually roll my clothing back until its more business casual, but I do not expect to wow anyone with what I wear. In fact, I've only been fashionable twice in my whole life, and that was because fashion turned to be what I already did.

My first year of college, it became trendy to wear undershirts with everything. Having recently adopted this fashion in conjunction with my religious beliefs, other people pointed out that it looked cool, and then people all over campus regardless of their Faith started wearing undershirts and collared shirts everywhere. By the time I graduated, this look became passe, and people started criticizing me for keeping up with it. I didn't adopt it. You did. I was doing it out of comfort and convenience, and that's why I still dress that way.

This week one of my students asked me how long I've had my beard. Pictures in the upstairs hallway of my parents' house attest to the fact that I've had this for at least eight years now. Apparently, it has become vogue again for men to have facial hair, and the younger among us have taken to this in droves. Although I didn't notice previously, there are people who didn't have them when I moved to Vegas who now do, including some relatives who live here, and so it is quite possible that I inspired them to follow my lead. I have never considered myself fashionable, but apparently I'm bringing bearded back. Even at BYU where it was once passe to have one, it seems everyone and their brother has facial hair now, and if not causative, my visits there at least coincide with the emergence of that trend.

I am me. I dress as I like and do what I like because I have to live with it. You don't have to look at me every day or spend any time with me, and since so many people I met wanted to change me for their own comfort only to vanish from my life, I miss the part where that's in my interests. Be you. Do what you do. As long as it's legal, ethical and moral, then what is the big deal? The beard is not the man. I originally started wearing one because my face was cold and it was free insulation. I certainly didn't do it to be trendy.

No comments: