06 May 2012

Worth the Work

Share
I received an email this morning from a student that is representative of why I love my job and why I feel it's worth the work:
Hi Professor XXXXXX,

I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have done for me this semester. I have really enjoyed taking your class and having the opportunity to get to know you. I have honestly learned so much not only about Chemistry but how to succeed in future classes. I am glad that I stuck through it because we both know at times it was a little rough for me J (I now know to always be fully prepared in came (case) [sic] a pop quiz is really given to the class ha.)

Again, I would just like to say thank you! I really hope I get the opportunity to take your class for Chemistry YYY. Take care!

Best regards, ZZZZZZZ


Now, I don't do what I do to ingratiate myself with them. I don't do it to validate them. I do it because I know it can help them. Sometimes I'm not sure if I spoil them too much or push them too hard, but I am excited to see what they become. This particular individual struggled, and like others who were struggling, I spoke with her and attempted to convince her to stay. She did. Some of the rest dropped the course. After the final for Microbiology yesterday morning, one of the students told me on her way out that she really enjoyed the class "even though you are not like the other professors" because, among other things, "I learned how to think and got credit for what I really knew". She asked me if I taught any other courses; I do not teach anything she hasn't already taken.

In the end, this class had 28 students see it through to the end. Of that 13 received a Grade of 'A'. All of them learned. What they do with it is up to them. Meanwhile, I'm preparing to deal with the young lady to whom I gave a 'D' and the three who failed. That's always fun. Even they sometimes learn.

I rather suspect that I will have the pleasure of teaching as many introductory classes as I can possibly stand for as long as I remain here. The advantage of that is that I can give them a strong and well-built foundation on which to complete the rest of their degree program. We know that the better the foundation is, the better the superstructure, and so I consider it worth the work and toil to take on introductory chemistry and biology. Some of the students benefit from someone who knows that they CAN do this, particularly in the weak moments when they are not sure. Like I told them at the beginning of the first exam, "Your bodies are already really good at chemistry; they just haven't managed to convince your brain of it yet." Now I don't want lousy chemists becoming nurses, but there are things beyond regurgitative chemistry that they take from my classes. This last week, I have heard from many students to this effect, and it makes it worth the work and the time and the toil for me.

Plus, in a year, we're changing textbooks. Bettelheim is a great chemist; I hope they find someone who can communicate better with introductory chemistry students.

2 comments:

Jan said...

They're lucky to have you help them build the foundation for their future. And the school is lucky as well. I hope they ALL realize it.

my-fancy-bride said...

i agree Jan's words: "They're lucky to have you help them build the foundation for their future. "