16 May 2012

Searching for Truth

Share
Zombies are said to be on the search for brains. They do not wish to acquire them; they wish to consume them, to metabolise them into something else. In essence, this means symbolically that zombies seek to take knowledge and truth and chemically convert it into something else, some other form, something that no longer recognizes brains. If eating a brain cured a zombie, that would be one option, but it doesn't work that way, and I think I know why.

In the political arena, we often talk about partisan followers of a particular candidate or party as if they were zombies. I will not disparage any particular group. This really segues from a previous post on my blog where I pointed out that people are not really looking for truth. IN other words, they investigate the things that validate the point of view they already possess and then ignore everything else. It's very subjective, and it hurts not only them but also those who become subject to the whims of their party if they win office. It is done by politicians of every party in all of time. Only those who are interested in truth are able to help the people.

As we head into November's elections, I find it interesting what people choose to report. Notice that the media seems to have grown silent about the Zimmerman case now that his ancestry has come to light, making him closer in melanin content to the president than the man whose side the president took. Even as Obama opines the 'high military budget', NPR publishes a graphic that shows that social security expenses are almost as high as the DoD budget, and that the military hasn't received as little of the total budget since before Obama was born. As Obama boasts of how he has cut our taxes, he has done nothing to prevent an across-the-board tax hike that will take place on 1 Jan 2013 when the tax rates passed by Bush return to Clinton-era levels. EVERYONE will pay higher taxes, and people who are married will be penalized. He talks about a recovery, this president, despite the facts that unemployment is higher than any time since 1983, mortages are lower than any time since 1965, the national debt he incurred in three years exceeds the sum debt acquired by all other presidents combined, and government dependency has never been higher. Furthermore, he touts his "all of the above" energy approach despite the fact that drilling permits are down under his administration (ibid). I don't understand his advocacy of gay marriage except for the fact that it has been a coup for fundraising, especially since some of the financial incentives go away under his tax plan.

"Obama's supporters often see what they want to see in him" one story proudly proclaims. What further evidence could you request that so clearly delineates that his supporters are not looking for truth? I have been saying for some time now that most people are not looking for truth as much as they secretly hope that what they find to be truth will corroborate what they already happen to believe. If it does not validate them and affirm their preconceived notions, will they reject it or embrace it and change? I have seen people change, but it is so very rare, because it's easier to roast the other guy, because if you're wrong, you have to change, and change is painful.

Several weeks ago, a friend of mine who is a vehement supporter of Ron Paul "asked me to explain for whom I would vote". I discovered that she was secretly hoping I would support Paul, not because of what I believe but because of what he believes in common with me. This is sort of a "Paul came before the Doug, therefore Doug's beliefs came as a result of Paul's" logical fallacy (ad hoc, ergo proctor hoc). In the end, when I realized that I could say nothing to change her mind, I gave her the same counsel that the leaders of my Faith gave us a few weeks later. I commended her to study it out in her mind, make a choice, and ask God to tell her whether she had chosen wisely or otherwise. I hope she is willing to listen to the Lord.

This really comes down to a question of in whom one places one's faith. I am disinclined to put my faith in politicians, who are people and consequently flawed. If I believe in God, I certify with Him what is right; if my god is government, well that changes with administrations and comes inherent with all the flaws of limited knowledge and power. As Inga Barks once said, "There is God, and there is government. God is greater than government, and government doesn't like that". If you're searching for truth, you go looking for it. If you already believe you have it, you won't look, and so you won't find it. People tend to find what they seek.

No comments: