19 March 2012

Act Like An Adult

Share
I received the following email from a student about two hours prior to class this evening:

Hi, I have been in Florida all spring break and the last few days I have been really sick. I hate missing classes so i'm not sure what I'm going to do today but I was hoping you could get back to me before class and let me know if its worth me being miserable and suffering through class or if I would be ok with missing today? I told my self all day that I have to go, but last minute I am starting to realize that I might want to stay home and rest and save everyone the chance of getting sick with whatever I have. Every class is important but if you could just let me know how important today is :) that would be great.

I responded with the following note:
This really boils down to a question of what YOU value most. If the reasons for missing class matter more than the things you believe you might reap from class, then one choice is obvious. The other choice is obvious under alternative conditions. Every time you miss a class, there is an opportunity cost. Nobody else writes notes the way you do. Nobody else will ask the questions you ask. Nobody else can get the points for you that you might obtain if you were there in person. You are paying for this class. Do not be easily parted from your money. However, I am happy if you decide not to share the microbes you're incubating with the class. I am sure you would bring plenty.

Only you can make this decision for yourself. Only you know what you value most. I value what I value for different reasons and to different degrees, and no matter you decide, this can be a learning experience for you as you move forward with your life and career. If you come, I will look forward to having you in class. If you opt to stay at home, I wish you a swift recovery.

This young lady ended up deciding not to come. As a consequence, she missed a pop quiz (I had already written it before I read her email) and an extra credit assignment I gave. She is also worried about her grade, but I couldn't tell her she was going to miss a pop quiz in an effort to rescue her; that would have been unfair to those who came and came on time.

What she really wanted was to be treated like an adult while she acts like a child. In essence, this email asked me to tell her what she should do. The scary part for me, and the reason why I felt disinclined to acquiesce to her request was because she intends to become a nurse. As a nurse, she will desire the power to tell other people what to do, and I have to ask if you really want a Biochemist who has no actual medical training telling your nurse what to tell you. If you desire power to decide for others, at least learn how first to decide wisely for yourself.

Far too many students come to class with an attitude that demands that I make things easy for them. While I will admit that I work for them, I have standards to meet. When it was suggested that I cancel class, I told them I could not because my supervisors in the college and students who were silent had an expectation that I cover material and prepare them for the next level of their education. After all, we're paying a great price that is more than monetary. If I make things easy for them, I do them no favor.

Many of my lectures, like tonight's post-pop-quiz-lecture, are life teaching experiences as much as they are forays into the world of chemistry or microbiology. As much as I'm preparing them for a career, I'm also preparing them for adulthood. They need to think and act and look like and most importantly become adults. There is a very good reason why responsibility is not given to everyone. Responsibility is something that must be taken and taken seriously. If you wish to be treated like an adult, act like one.

In the end, this student opted to miss class. She missed more than a quiz. She may however still learn from her choice, but that choice is also up to her.

1 comment:

Jan said...

LOVE this post. There are way too many young people these days who have been coddled and led along - and who need a dose of adulthood. You are doing them such a favor as you work with them not only on chemistry but on life as well.