16 March 2012

Bicycle Fridays

Share
This morning I rode my bike to work. No, it wasn't to save money or the environment or because I needed a workout. It was because last night when I got home I felt like crap and went to bed early. This means my car still won't run, but I still had to get to work.

The concept seemed simple enough. Pack up just what I need in a backpack like all the students do, grab a few tools just in case, fill up the tires, and hit the road. I planned a route that would keep me mostly off major roads, at least major roads without shoulders on which to ride. I showered, shaved, and left. It is approximately eight miles from my door to my office.

Almost immediately, I had problems. For the last many months, I have been running, playing racquetball, and lifting weights. Apparently riding a bicycle uses muscles I haven't managed to activate. My midsection is tired and sore. I thought I was in shape, but as I know well from other interactions, being good at running isn't useful when rockclimbing, and being a good swimmer doesn't help you play tennis.

Fortunately for me, the drivers were courteous. I had to cross a street, and the first cars to arrive stopped to let me pass. While riding on the shoulder, people pulled over to give me room (I do hug the side of the road as tightly as I can) as they passed. They were all very patient.

It was a nice morning workout. I'm not sure I'll do it in the summer when it will be in the 90s (Fahrenheit) before I leave for work, but it was nice to know that I CAN do this if I ever have a problem in the future and must rely on a bicycle for transportation.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I was tired. I was also grateful. I know many people who cannot ride a bike because they weigh too much, have no legs, are sick, don't own a bicycle, etc. I thank God that I CAN do this, that I am able as well as have the means to do so. I am richly blessed, and I was pleased to discover that I could do this, even if it did take a few minutes longer than I thought it would.

No comments: