06 December 2011

Empty Nester

Share
The time of the semester has come when I feel like an empty nester. Next time I see my students, they'll be taking their exams, glad it's over, anxious about their grades, but on their way hurriedly somewhere, somewhere else. We spend ninety hours together laughing, learning, and talking about things that matter both today and for all of their tomorrows, and then they move on.

I know it's as it should be. They need to move on, to move forward, to keep making progress, and I'm just a small way point on that longer journey. As far as a man in my position can, I understand a little of what it might be like when all the kids are grown and leave to find their fortunes elsewhere.

From time to time, as happened today, they tell me they'll miss me. Although I've been teaching off and on for many years, I don't have any students who come back to visit. It would be pretty tough since I've taught in so many different places and occupied so many offices in that time, but in today's internet-driven world, I'm surprised they don't contact me. Maybe I'm not as good at this as even I would be willing to confess. I hope they are well, wherever they are.

This Christmas season, my thoughts are with my 'children'. To all of you who have been or are my students, at least for the next 48 hours, you're in my thoughts and prayers. Merry Christmas, and Godspeed.

2 comments:

Katmandu said...

Merry Christmas to you too. This semester was a great one.

Jan said...

As I've been saying all along, you are a great teacher. And this post confirms it.

I know that you have touched their lives in a huge and a positive way and that while that impact may not be commented upon, it had nevertheless been felt. Yay for another semester!!