26 July 2011

He Might Be Bluffing...

Share
We hear a lot about compromise these days. The fact of the matter is that sometimes, its a bluff. Allow me a personal anecdote...

During the last round of offers I placed on homes, three of them were tentatively accepted. When working with my realtor, he showed me that houses sold on average for 103% of listing price (no, I don't get that either given the Vegas market, but whatever), and so we offered 103.5% of asking price. Then, the banks in turn all turned around and asked for our highest and best. I think the Hellermans wanted me to up my ante. Of course they took me as a client, like all realtors, hoping to sell me a house I liked as quickly as possible. It's just a house, and I had learned by then to be emotionally separate from the transactions.

At length we all felt that the prices offered were fair. So we told them that we had already offered our highest and best. What we discovered in this gamble is that we had called the bank's bluff. I was already the best offer, and if I had raised it, I would have been bidding against and compromising with myself.

Very often, people ask you to show them your hand either promising to do so after you do or without intending to tip it at all. They seek leverage because that gives them power over you.
They're trying to trick you into giving away something.

Our politicians today are involved in a battle of wits. The Democrats are trying to discern things without giving anything away. They do not present plans. They let the GOP put the glasses on the table, say it's not fair, and refuse to offer an alternative game. They want the GOP to compromise with itself, to bid against itself, to up the ante when they have never put anything in writing. Obama might be bluffing.

The truth is somewhat settling. Our debt has already been downgraded. That's why the dollar is weak and why people are investing elsewhere. People in other nations realize that the global economy depends on America, even if it's less than before. If Greece was bad for the world, just think how bad it would be for allies, friends, and neutrals if we fell. Also, we take in tax revenue sufficient every day to service the debt and pay entitlements. They're lying to you about almost everything.

Obama might be bluffing. Call the bluff. If you're wrong, then everything the media said may come to pass (but how often does that really happen?). If you're right, you'll win big in 2012 and keep some of your promises and actually make progress towards setting things in the right direction. Since 2008, we have tried things Obama's way. He controlled all branches of government. If their plan was right, we should have expected to have seen some real positive signs by now. Let's now apply liberty.

When you think you are right, stand fast a little. It might make you a martyr, but it also might make you a hero. Don't let fear of what might happen paralyze you against the discovery of what will.

No comments: