29 July 2011

Common Bathroom Decency

Share
Forgive the afternoon rant. For several weeks, I have noticed this, and it finally comes out. What is up with all the men who go into the bathroom, pee in the toilet, and neither flush nor wipe up when they finish? There are like eight urinals in this bathroom, and I use the same one every time because invariably someone went before me and neglected to flush.

These are frequently the same people who ostensibly look out for others. They will tell us we should do more to help people. How does it help people when you don't wash your hands, clean up after yourself, and then spread disease because you can't urinate or defecate and confine it to the proper receptacle? How is that looking out for the little guy? Do you mean by 'little guy', a bacteria or virus?

I find it somewhat paradoxical that some of these men are the most vociferous about our obligation to help other people. At the same time they do this, they subject us to what they believe to be small things of little import. Viruses, however small, are no small thing. Maybe they should watch Outbreak, since reading the book on which it's based is probably beyond their intellect or attention span. Shoot, you can even watch "The Sword in the Stone" and see Merlin defeat Mimm by turning into a rare disease. Just because you see no danger doesn't mean it's ok any more than just because something looks dangerous means it will necessarily cause you harm. Tornadoes don't hit everyone who looks at them.

I have to give WalMart credit. When I worked for them, they impressed upon us "clean as you go, not just when you go" and I find myself doing just that everywhere I go time permitting. Since I don't get paid to clean at home, it's not as clean as some people would like, but I do clean as I go. For those among you who proudly proclaim that if we all do a little we can do a lot, I add that if we all do the little things, some of the big things may never be.

Tell Spencer to flush.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Amen (again!). The women's rest rooms almost everywhere are pretty disgraceful and I find myself getting a wet paper towel and wiping down the counters of whatever gross bathroom I am in. And then I sanitize myself!! Ack.