11 March 2011

To Match the Message

Share
On the way to work this morning, as I often do, I noticed a large number of cars with personalized plates breaking the law. After one large SUV with the plate "XALTHIM" refused to let me over so I could make my turn, I swung in behind the woman to take an alternative detour. As I drove behind her and noticed the plate, I silently hoped that the rest of her behavior matched the message she proudly displays on her license plate and on car decals in her back window.

I really appreciate the zeal of those who proclaim and profess their faith in Christ. I really hope that their actions back up the words that issue from their mouths. All too frequently in my opinion the heathens are better Christians. Many of those who are most open about their Christianity don't actually do anything to prove their faith or Faith. They wear the cross around their neck, tatoo his name on their neck, speak his name with their lips, etc., but they do not have Christ written in their hearts.

Membership in the Kingdom of Heaven depends more on who has your heart than who has your records. We need so many more people who espouse Christian virtues whether they believe in Christ's divinity or not. We have enough people who believe in Christ but do not actually believe Him, evinced by the fact that they do not do what He taught. Christ told us that those who loved Him would keep His commandments and do the works He did. Instead, many Christians are involved in either illicit or ruderal activities and do very little to act in faith according to their Faith.

Over two decades ago, Ezra Taft Benson spoke of how we need missionaries who match the message. He said: "Give me a young man who has kept himself morally clean and has faithfully attended his Church meetings. Give me a young man who has magnified his priesthood. Give me a young man who is a seminary graduate and has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me such a young man and I will give you a young man who can perform miracles for the Lord in the mission field and throughout his life." Where are the Christian virtues in the rising generation? I wrote a few weeks back about how disgusted I was that Bristol Palin was being held up as an abstinence advocate. I am still annoyed that Charlie Sheen has attracted so much attention and that he's brazen enough to sue the studio.

I continually meet Christians who don't know much about Christ. They have never read the Bible cover to cover, something I have done more than ten times. They let other people tell them what Christ said instead of looking for themselves. When I was on my mission, Douglas S. and I met with some Jehovah's Witnesses for bible study for a while. After a while, I suggested that instead of just reading what the Watchtower said Christ taught we should read what Christ said and discuss it. We did. It opened the scriptures to them but eventually closed the door for us to meet with and teach them. Some Christians do not attend church meetings frequently or pray on their own or study without a group. They do not know the Master, and therefore they are not as valiant in His service as they could be.

We need Christians to match the message. We need Christians who are physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. We need Christians who study the Master's life and teachings and strive His works to do. We need Christians who testify with boldness and faith of His divinity and who worship regularly both on Sunday in public as well as in their private hours at home. We need Christians who serve. Too few hear and heed the call to serve. We have forgotten that Elijah promised us that if we first serve the Lord, He will multiply our oil and meal. We need Christians who believe in miracles and who are ready and willing and worthy to pronounce them as did Elijah to the faithful.

I challenge you to live in such a way that if you were called into court there would be enough evidence to convict you of being a Christian. I promise you that if you do, Christ Himself will comfort, protect, elevate, and fill your life with all that is of lasting value. If Christ had other people to spread His message, be His hands, and help His children, He would ask them, but He doesn't have other people. He has us. Match His message and it will surprise you what the Lord does through, because and for you as you serve the King of Kings.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Beautiful. Thank you for a great uplift today!







But I must laugh because the word verification this time is 'fluffee' -- which your post most definitely is not!!