04 March 2011

Blessings Disguised as Trials

Share
Several of my friends lost their jobs recently. I know the President thinks that things are recovering, but the trying times extend far beyond this small valley. Several times, I have come close to losing my own job, either as a simple budgetary matter or as a consequence of my tilting at windmills as I speak the truth regardless of possible consequences. While for today I consider it safe, there were some ill winds recently that threatened my safety and security, but even in that time, I told my friends that I trusted that if I lost my job that God knew that was the better option and that I would find something else.

If you are like my friends and unemployed for whatever reason, I am sad to hear that you lost your job. I am sure you are stressed. I hope you have friends from whom to seek counsel and comfort in your time of need. Remember that your Father in Heaven is there and that even if nothing else you can always count on His spirit, that Comforter, to be with you and buoy you up in trying times.

Not everyone who does the right thing sees right done in return. What you decided to do at work was probably right- to fight against wickedness in high places. The longer we allow duplicities in policies to persist, the more people will push the propriety envelope and create excuses to rationalize their own aberrant attitudes. Sometimes, when you do what is right, you might be cast into the Lion's den as was Daniel; other times, you return to your fields and your flocks as did Gideon; in rare but oh so very important cases, you may be spared and elevated as was Esther. It is always the right time to do the right thing.

Who knows what will happen? It is quite possible that this is a blessing disguised as a trial. A story is told of two men in a town in China. The first found a horse one day, and his neighbor commented on how lucky he was. "Who knows what will happen?" said the first. The next day, while trying to break the horse, the first man's son was thrown from the horse and broke his leg. The neighbor commented on the bad luck, but the first man replied, "Who knows what will happen." The next day, king's soldiers came through town looking for conscripts. They took the horse and the neighbor's son but left the first man's son because of his broken leg. When the neighbor came over weeping that he might never see his son again, the first man replied, "Who knows what will happen?"

To the Corinthians, Paul wrote: "There hath no trial taken you except as such is common to man, but God is also faithful and will, with the trial, provide a way for you to escape that ye may be able to bear it." This I know; I will pray that His spirit will convict you with a knowledge that He is on your side, aware of your issue, and ready to assist, not in the way you might hope, but in the way that is best for all parties involved. Have faith, trust in Him, and remember that He is always there. He will provide a way for your escape.

Godspeed, and all my best wishes.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I LOVE your statement "It is always the right time to do the right thing." So true -- and honestly, one of the (few! ha!) things I like about getting old(er) is that now I can look back and see that truly, many of the trials that I have survived really were blessings and that it's a gift to now be able to see that Heavenly Father's hand was (and is) always on me and my life. (and everyone else's!)