27 March 2011

Roadside Assistance

Share
A friend and I went to Red Rock NCA this week while we're both on Spring break. About halfway up a gradual but rather long incline, his car overheated, so we pulled over to let the car cool down and brainstorm what might have happened. While we waited, I started paying attention to the cars that passed us and the people who inquired after us. My findings were an interesting preliminary study.

We noticed some interesting trends and surprising results. Everyone from Oregon and New York inquired after our state of affairs. Nobody from Nevada or California even slowed down as they passed us, although the Nevadans all rubbernecked in our direction. Likewise, if you were from Colorado, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, or Michigan, you passed on by. However, one woman from Canada on a bicycle offered whatever she could do to help us.

In order to draw any conclusions, we would need more data. More information about why they didn't stop and more cars altogether would be necessary to draw relevant conclusions. Also, we didn't get a good sampling of all the states. However, it was an interesting observation.

Fortunately I have only been stuck on the side of the road once when I was unable to resolve the problem myself. That being the case, I have pulled over several times to offer help, even if the people were already taken care of or had a problem beyond my abilities. I think that people just might want to know someone cared.

I keep coming back to the example of Jesus Christ. Well known is that parable of the good Samaritan. The least likely person pulled aside to help a struggling soul, and yet all of those Christians out there thump their chests proudly and speak of what good Christians they are. Did not Christ tell us the second great commandment was to love our neighbors as ourselves? What should we do?

I know some of the circumstances are extenuating. We didn't really need anything in this instance and flagged those onward who looked inclined to stop. Due to circumstances, you might not be able to do everything you might wish you could. When you can't do it all, do what you can. You never know when you might serve an angel unawares.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Great thoughts -- I think the whole point is that we need to do what we can do and that is enough. Loved it.