17 February 2011

Things to Echo

Share
When I moved at the end of last year, I started attending a new congregation on Sundays. One of the men I met and befriended there has been a guest in my house and a frequent conversational partner. We share a common wish that people echo the things that really matter, and as such, I thought it expedient to abandon the jejune for things of eternal consequence to echo over the weekend.

People leave on the screen that which they wish to echo. I have complained on this blog and elsewhere about songs, sermons, and scientists who leave false impressions, negative energies, and ruderal commentaries as the part that echoes in our minds when they finish their messages. Over the past several months, as I have dedicated myself to a greater degree to leave a message worthy of repetition, I have focused more on Christ. This morning, I was schooled by someone I barely know.

Valentines Day is usually very annoying for me. I'm stalled on this 30 Day Blog Challenge on "A Person That I Love" because I don't want to offend anyone in my family by choosing one and because I don't really 'love' anyone else in the traditional sense. This person drew my attention elsewhere.

When we think of love, we think of sacrifice. Frequently this time of year, it comes in exorbitantly priced floral arrangments, lavish dinners, and other things of ethereal value and worth. Sacrifice does not mean to give up things. It really means "to make something holy", and that is why I admire this person's attention at Valentine's Day to Christ and His atonement. Sure, Jesus gave up something great, but it wasn't for the sake of giving it up or giving it away or giving out. What He did was done to make us holy, something we could not do for ourselves.

When I think of love, I really do think of Christ. If ye love me, keep my commandments. Greater love hath no man than this than he who layeth down his life for his friends. The first great commandment is to love the Lord thy God...and the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Everything he did and said was about love. That is really his message. It isn't in the trimmings and trappings, and it's certainly not in gifts, especially those grudgingly given. I don't know a lot of women who might like Valentine's Day turned to a focus on Christ, but I know I appreciate that about this particular woman who did that for me.

In the last few days, I have been frequently angry and opinionated. I am basically frustrated because I felt I did not have love in my life. Sure, sometimes it helps to have someone with skin on, someone to show us they love us via affection (because affection is shown and love is felt), but how much of that really lasts? I am the constant recipient of Christ's love in my life. Christ's mission allows us to be part of a movement that actually means something, and His message invites us to take an active part in the miracle of mercy, salvation, and sanctification.

You may notice therefore that I may frequently and inexplicitly insert anecdotes that seem calculated to convince men of Christ. I believe that any Christian who only infrequently and cursarily mentions Christ is like someone who plays Battleship and tries not to hit his opponent's ships. For this purpose, I will teach of Christ, testify of Christ, prophecy of Christ, and write about what I learn so that you may learn to what source you may look for a remission of your sins.

I live well because I strive to live like the Savior. At the end of the day, when I feel that I have acted according to the edicts and on the promptings of God, I sleep well because my confidence is in Christ, in His power and promise to save me not only from the poor choices made by others, but also from my own. Too many people try to save themselves. In truth, sanctification and peace come through the merits and mercy of Christ.

1 comment:

Jan said...

As always, insightful, personal and poignant. I love your ability to look inside and your humility in sharing yourself this way.

You made my day today -- please know that you are loved by many!