15 February 2011

People Play Parts

Share
It seems more and more apparent to me that Shakespeare was correct when he wrote that "All the world's a stage, and the people merely players." For the better part of my thus far life, I have heard copious denigrating references to people being 'players', and the more I get played, the more I understand their sentiments. Among my friends, we frequently discuss the importance of being true and being real people, because we value truth, justice, and the American way, which means frequently that it's necessary to get right to the point.

Accordingly, I will get right to the point. Most people play parts. They play a part that gets them what they want. They play a part that someone else wants them to play. They play a part to keep others from finding out who they really are. Whatever the case, this adds just one more level of confusion in human interactions, because they have obfuscated their true self, and all of our subsequent interactions become based on a lie.

My father once had the brilliant idea for me to play a part. His plan was for me to buy a BMW 300 series or something like it, but still take people out on first dates in my Saturn. When I picked them up in the BMW later, I could tell them they had made the cut or something like that. Most of the world does this in reverse. They put on airs, their best clothes, a borrowed car, and drop money they can ill afford to whine and dine, and then later they revert back to character. Who can forget who has seen the movie how Ferris Buehler takes a pricey Jaguar out to impress folks, only to wreck it. At least if it's yours and you wreck it, nobody else loses.

One of my favorite movies is "Dave" with Kevin Kline. It shows a man who plays a part, yes, but a good part. Everything Dave does in the movie is what Dave would actually do if he were really the president and not just a body double. I also like that movie because in the credits so many people like Senator Dodd and Jay Leno are cast as themselves. I really appreciate when people are who they really are with me and not roleplayers for what they would like to be if they could do as they wish.

Sometimes, we play parts because we have no choice. I choose to fight the status quo because that's the way I sleep well at night- calm in the knowledge that I was true to myself, true to my beliefs, and true to those who may look at me later. Among my actions, you may find errors, but it is he who works with courage of conviction who wins a place in our hearts and in our history books. While most of what you see from others is a play, I am me.

Be you. Do what you do. Drink Dr. Pepper (if you like). For the moment, I may not have the companionship and partnership for which I hope, but in the end, there are no surprises. With me, you really get what you see. (Exit office, stage right. Fade to black.)

1 comment:

Jan said...

I loved this. For me, I want people just to be who they really are -- and I am who I am (I sound like Popeye!) and don't want to make apologies for that.

Thanks for your insights - -always good stuff!!