10 February 2011

Safety in My Travels

Share
Everyone has spiritual gifts. Among what other gifts I may feel or you may feel I possess, I have been promised safety in my travels. This does not, as I once suspected, mean that nothing bad will happen per se, rather that nothing bad will happen to me, at least not permanently.

In the last three days, I have seen, within a few miles of the same spot every day, a rather horrific vehicular collission that I managed to miss by a matter of minutes. The first one was Tuesday night, where a driver lost control turning a corner too quickly and slammed into a brick wall sideways. Fortunately, he hit with the passenger side, so I presume he's relatively unscathed, but it littered the road with blocks. Wednesday night, a car's front end had been completely stripped off by collission with a large pickup truck (Titan, Ram, or similar) and then slammed into a light pole. The truck's wheel and axle had snapped off. I hope the driver of the sedan is ok. This morning, a guy merged too early where the line is solidly white (this is recently illegal in NV), and sideswiped someone else, but somehow, he bounced off and ended up upside down. I have no idea how these things happened, but those people have sore trials ahead, even if they were innocent.

Sometimes, things happen that are beyond our control. When you can, you control the parts you control. The rest of the time, you rely on other people, their representations and skills, to help contribute to the safety of the whole. Ordered society is a contract society. We give our word and require others to do so, especially when we're speeding along in piles of metal and plastic that weigh several thousand kilograms apiece at speeds of over 100kmh. That kind of inertia has far-reaching effects if it goes astray.

A few months back, I was involved in my own near-fatal collission. When my rear driver side tire blew, the car spun 30 degrees and careened towards the concrete barrier. Instead of flipping over it when I hit it at near 55mph, I bounced off. Just before I hit the barrier, I remember very vividly the only things that flashed through my head. "Am I ready to die?" I thought. Shortly thereafter, a voice in my head said, "Don't worry about it." I don't know if it was a reassurance that I would be ok or a certification of my readiness. What I do know is that I am one of the good ones.

I have problems in my life, but as I have driven by these wrecks, several of which seemed severe, I have been grateful for my life. For now, I can still get to work, get paid for work, and enjoy when I am not at work because both my car and my person have been protected in travels. Be safe out there. Remember that lanes are a contract and that the life you save might be your own.

No comments: