25 August 2010

Why I Hate Car Dealers

Share
It's not always the salesmen or the support staff. In the end, the thing I hate most about car dealers is their philosophy towards their customers. Last night, I spent some time at a dealership where, with rare exception, the decision makers care more about sales than about customers. Beware those who try to cheat me.

The first people I met were nice, friendly and helpful. The internet sales contact Flo turned me over to a lot salesman because she was under the weather, and Ricky treated me with the southern hospitality I've come to expect from Carolinians. The people inside were different. Their dark personalities matching their black shirts, quickly led me to feel like I was on the defensive, and they spoke with bellicose rhetoric I assume they believe calms the purchaser but felt more like a truncheon. I think it's a matter of policy at Prestige Chrysler-Dodge.

Before they ran any numbers, there was a form to fill out. You sit in the open at a table, like in an old cafeteria. I admit I felt ill at ease because of prior experience in lunchrooms during my school days. At the bottom of the form, they ask you to sign and say if the price meets your expectations you'll buy and drive today. I wasn't necessarily ready to buy today, because I never make rash decisions like that, and so I told Ricky I wasn't ready to John Hancock that until my concerns were resolved.

The sales manager, Frank, a thin, stick of a man with dead eyes, pale skin and a shaven head, came over to resolve my concerns. He immediately launched into an explanation of how basically my fears were moot and irrelevant. He spent no time building a relationship of trust with me or even asking me what my concerns were. Thus, he focused on manifestations of the problems instead of the problems themselves. Problems resolved in his mind, he then immediately probed for a commitment. I felt attacked. I felt pressured. My mind screamed "Take your money and run".

Ricky was different. He was compassionate. Eventually, he would give me his card and took me outside to relook at the car.

Truth be told, I am not really interested in a purchase from this dealer. The sales manager refused to recognize the advertised price. I called my friend in Pennsylvania and asked him to print the webpage to pdf and email it to me so I could prove that price was advertised. In the end, after the price of the car, they added $500 in tax, $900 in 'reconditioning', and $350 in document preparation. The 'best' he could do for me was to honor the original price.

I guess my error was twofold. I should have stuck with the internet sales manager, who probably changed the price to begin with. I should have also come better prepared, with printout in hand and my research in the bag so that I could buy. However, I think it was the interpolations of providence that I did not, else I might have bought that car. It's a nice car; too bad it's sold by such a sleazy dealership. How can your best deal be to meet the price for which it was advertised? For the past year, I have fought this with the housing market, where my realtors have insisted that in order to get a home I have to pay more than asking price. No thanks. It's just a car.

After I left, things made more sense. They had tried to put the screws to me with a signature and then tricks to give me the 'best deal they could'. Granted the car was a good price according to blue book, but I shouldn't have to fight to get them to honor the advertised price. They also boasted that they are the biggest referral for servicemen from the air force base. Well, I don't like to be taken for a ride. With the advertisement in hand and this narrative, I intend to file a complaint with the BBB, the FTC, Chrysler corporation, and the US Air Force. You may sell millions in inventory; I am only interested in one car, and if I have any say, this push to sell me a car against my will may have cost you much more than a single sale.

Unfortunately, they will probably sell the car to someone else for the price they want. I'm glad they reconditioned it, but I would not pay $900 up front for someone to do that, and I have found several vehicles since then from either other dealers or private parties with fewer miles or better options for the same price as that dealership demanded. A private seller, for the same out the door price, has one the same color with the same options but half as many miles, and it's all for the car- not for tax, documents, or dealer fluff. For another $2000, I could buy one from Carmax with half the miles. What is my incentive to do business with you? Why should I pay you after a harangue for things that are not value added to me? That's as bad as paying the Manufacturer's tax when you buy a new car (which is why new cars depreciate so much after you drive them off the lot). Thank God I refused to John Hancock their document.

If you sell a man a car, you can earn money today. If you sell yourself to a customer, you will eventually win his business and loyalty. If Ricky wants/needs a letter of recommendation or referral, I am happy to recommend him. He made me feel like I was the most important part of the transaction, not the money that I might trade him for a car.

UPDATE: 9:32AM The dealer's own website now shows the car for the price I asserted was accurate. That should have been the starting point. Sorry, charlies. You lost me, and now you've been enshrined forever on my blog as the sharks you are.

No comments: