03 August 2010

See Clearly in the Morning

Share
I love the mornings. Partly, it's because it's not quite as hot, even though the sun is already out as I get out of bed. The rest is because I exercise, and when I work out, things seem to work themselves out in my mind and in my soul. When I can, I also ponder about things, and today's ponder, like it often is, revolved around the fortuitous nature of my circumstances.

People who know me know that I jog thrice weekly when I can. I have even been known to do this on vacation, in the snow, and when it's 95F or hotter. Unless I feel sick, I run 10K, and even if I am sick, I run a 5K. At this rate, by the time I'm 50, I will have run around the equator twice.

As I rounded the first 1/8th of a mile, I was acutely aware of how fortunate I am. First of all, I am able to wake up after a good night's rest (mostly). Secondly, I know people who cannot run because they either have no legs or their health is not such that it supports running. Most people I know hate running, among which I include myself, but it's very efficient as a workout, and I was able to lose lots of weight when I made this a habit. I'm fit enough TO run, which is something in itself, because I remember hardly being able to finish a mile when I first began. I have the discipline to get up and work out at least 6 days per week, and I know it matters to me. I feel better on days when I exercise first thing.

I enjoy a great deal of freedom. Most of the shadows that hung over what I have built blew away in the storm winds of July, hopefully for good. I get up and run even when I get knocked down. I can go and do what I choose when I feel so inclined to do so. It's a beautiful life, and that's the honest truth.

No comments: